• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

Dreyfoos on Ice
Dreyfoos on Ice
April 22, 2024

Building towards the future

On May 10, students from across the globe competed to attain the coveted title: the world’s best student bridge-builder. Digital media sophomore Nina Marchell was one of the competitors and entered a bridge she created out of basswood and adhesive into the International Bridge Competition held at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago.
“By competing in the South Florida Bridge Competition and winning, I was able to go to the international competition [in Chicago],” Marchell said.
Students interested in being entered in the International Competition had to win their regional competitions in order to progress. The goal was to have the bridges be a smaller version of real, usable bridges seen throughout the world that are made to allow trains, vehicles and people cross. Competitors from as far as Hawaii, New York and Indonesia all flew in to Chicago to test their bridge’s abilities.
“The bridge competition was a contest to see who could build the most efficient [and] lightest bridge that held the most weight. They did limit the [bridge’s] weight to 25 grams so the focus really was on making a bridge that was light yet strong,” said Marchell.
The bridges were tested by placing each end on two support surfaces. Weights were tied to and dangled from the center of the bridge until its infrastructure caved in. Out of 52 who placed, Marchell received second. Her bridge was able to hold over 5000 times its own weight. She won a certificate, trophy and $250 gift card.
“It was a little stressful placing the weights below my bridge to see how much it would hold, knowing that any minute the whole thing would collapse and maybe right on me,” Marchell said. “It ended up holding 55 kilograms and weighed 10.73 grams which was good enough for second place.”

$750
$10000

Mackenzie White
Mackenzie White, News Editor
Communications student Mackenzie White is the News Editor of The Muse as well as the Assistant Floor Director for TV Production. She enjoys reading and writing and is a big fan of films and television. White has a 15-year-old sister who is currently a theater freshman along with a 29-year-old brother who is a Dreyfoos Alumnus Class of 2003. She interns weekly for Senator Bill Nelson in his West Palm Beach office and has a strong passion for politics and social activism. Her dream for college is to attend University of Virginia as a political science and history major. White looks forward to finishing up her wonderful experience as a student at Dreyfoos.
$750
$10000