• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

Dreyfoos on Ice
Dreyfoos on Ice
April 22, 2024

Dynamism on the horizon

Dylan Jackson writes and performs original piece for the Black History Show

From portraying an unfaithful husband to a charismatic priest, theatre sophomore Dylan Jackson touched new heights when performing at the Black History Show on April 10th.

In the fourth piece performed, “Fences,” written by August Williams, Jackson played a husband who was disloyal to his wife. The scene depicted the husband and wife’s conversation after he was exposed cheating on her. They have an intense exchange while hurdling over many black stereotypes throughout.

In his second debut in the show in a piece called “Nobody Knows” Jackson not only gave a captivating performance but also wrote the piece.

“It started out as a class assignment,” Jackson said. “But then my piece was chosen to be put in the show, which was awesome. I started practicing about two days before the audition.”

In his piece the woman who worked as household help was played by theatre sophomore Angel Risler, and the man who owned the house and employed her was played by theatre sophomore Parker Wall.

The scene showed the horrors of being an African American house maid even after the laws on slavery were lifted. The priest character attempted to explain to the house maid to stand up for herself, however she was forced to work under these conditions because she needed the money.

Additionally, Jackson agreed that the Black History show is important to be at Dreyfoos. It teaches students why we celebrate Black History Month and the significance of America’s past and how it has affected our future.

“I also think that we should have something for every nationality, to showcase their history and heritage as well because it’s important to our culture.” Jackson said.

$750
$10000

Starr Courakos
Starr Courakos, Managing Editor
Starr Courakos is the Managing Editor of The Muse. She is very excited to be overseeing the production and execution of the newsmagazine. She will continue to edit stories, while also budgeting out each page of the Muse, complete with ads and dividers. While bringing an open mind to the publication, she hopes to see the Muse grow and be a part in its development. By collaborating with writers and editors from all sections, this year Starr looks forward to expanding her knowledge of design and editing and create a publication that students and adults alike look forward to reading.
$750
$10000