Preseason Preparation

Photo by Oscar Hamilton
Band sophomore Amare Davis and visual sophomore Aaron Crawford are encouraged by returning player visual junior Aaron Nesbitt.

As the final buzzer rang in the 2014-15 boy’s basketball season, sweat fell down each player’s face, and their minds were only focused on the future.  Following an unpredictable and inconsistent year, the Dreyfoos boy’s basketball team is ready to work.  

On August 24th the team hosted preseason workouts and conditioning for returning players and anyone who is trying out for the new year. They will continue to be held in the weight room in the gym and on the soccer field every Monday through Thursday for the next few weeks.  Band junior Derrek Brown will be returning to the team for his 3rd season. Brown was put in charge of leading the rest of the students and players through the workouts. Social studies teacher and coach of the team Jeffery Stohr has very high expectations for his team and is hoping the workouts pay off.

“I expect us to be better than we were last year,” Mr. Stohr said. ” I expect our younger players who got game time last year to mature and get better. These workouts will allow us to get in better shape, and the teams we will play this year also host preseason workouts so hopefully this will get our bodies and minds in better shape overall so we are able to keep up.”

This season, due to the excess amount of guards currently on the team the defense will most likely conform to a press. In a press defense, the team playing defense starts at full-court rather than the usual half-court. Then, they apply much more pressure and the goal is to trap the other team into turning it over. It’s a risky style of play, and heavily relies upon the defending team to be quick and full of stamina.  Having preseason workouts will boost the confidence and the ability of the players on the Dreyfoos team.

“Our first meeting was really just to see who wanted to work and who didn’t,” Brown said. ” We focused on legs and agility and I think it went really well. I’m excited to keep going and get us into shape.”

$750
$10000

Elliot Hacker
Elliot Hacker, Sports Editor
Communications senior Elliot Hacker is a third-year staffer on The Muse. He is the editor of the Sports section, and enjoys all aspects of communications, but primarily concentrates on film and writing. He plays basketball competitively and generally loves sports. Hacker's future plans are currently unknown but he hopes to use communications in whatever he does. He feels privileged to be at Dreyfoos surrounded by such great talent. Hacker is happy with how high school is going and hopes it continues down a good path.
$750
$10000