MUSIC GENRE DAY 2020 RECAP

Raising piano junior Ethan Cheung into the air, vocal junior Arman Koshbin celebrates the juniors’ victory in “Knight, Mount, Carry.” Cheung had the opportunity to compete alongside piano junior David Liu. “Before the game, David and I created a strategy to win,” Cheung said. “We’re both really good friends and have established chemistry.”
  • Laughing alongside communications junior Kyle Murphy, communications junior Sean Horan competes in the game “Knight, Mount, Carry.” The juniors finished first in the game. “The seniors are going to win, that’s mandatory, but at this point, it’s a race for second place,” Horan said. “We didn’t last very long in the game, but it’s just fun to be around [Murphy].”

• Adjusting communications freshman Magnolia Lang’s cowboy hat, dance freshman Sarah Howes prepares to compete in “Knight, Mount, Carry” with Lang. The freshmen finished fourth place in the game. “It was scary because everyone was watching me, but my friends made it really funny,” Lang said. “We were just laughing the whole entire time. We weren’t being really serious about it, but we had a great time.”

• Dressed in early 2000’s attire, communications seniors Jordan Campbell and Rachel Juene make it to the final round of Monday’s lunch activity. The seniors ended up in second place in the game of “Knight, Mount, Carry.” “The energy was pretty hectic, but not in a bad way,” Jeune said. “At one point, I just started screaming because there was so much going on. You could hear the spirit in everyone’s screams.”

• Trying his best to hold on to communications sophomore Christian Chantayan, visual sophomore William Dhana sports a bright yellow shirt and neon glasses for techno-pop day. In the game “Knight, Mount, Carry,” the sophomore class finished second. “There was high energy and pressure to do well,” Dhana said. “Seeing everyone so cheerful and dressed up is cool as not all schools are like us.”

• Maneuvering his way around the shark, visual sophomore Dennis Gettinger competes in “Sharks and Minnows.” It was the first of many games held in the gym on Music Genre Day. “Everybody in the building was pumped,” Gettinger said. “I just went head first into it with no strategy.”

Kicking off spirit week with Music Genre Day, students shuffled onto campus with attire ranging from cowboy hats and flannels, to snapbacks and baggy shirts. During lunch, three games were held in the gymnasium: “Sharks and Minnows,” “Knight, Mount, Carry,” and “Simon Says.” At the end of the day, the seniors came out on top with 16 overall points, the juniors and sophomores tied with 15 apiece, and the freshmen came in last with 5.

In the hallways of Building 7, a whole different competition was taking placean event to see which grade could decorate their selective hallways the best. Seniors secured first place, sophomores came in second, juniors third, and freshmen last. 

“We wanted you to feel like you were in Shrek’s swamp, so we decorated the walls with real palm fronds and different shades of green, as well as an interactive banner with Shrek and Fiona inside,” theatre sophomore Nicolette Carew said. “We incorporated some of our volunteers’ ideas and the hallway came out perfectly.”

The first gym game was “Sharks and Minnows,” where the objective was for students to make it across the court before being tagged by each grade’s teacher, the shark. In total, four teachers participated in the game; math teacher Matthew Vaughan, social studies teacher Ross Vening, media specialist Sarah Garcia and theatre teacher Andrew Gilbert. Following “Sharks and Minnows” was “Knight, Carry, Mount.” Communications freshman Magnolia Lang described it as a game where you have to “get on top of the person’s back, get down on one knee, hold their head, and carry them like a baby for as long as possible.” 

Finally, the lunch event concluded with a game of “Simon Says.” Freshmen placed fourth, juniors came in third, sophomores in second, and the seniors took first place. For “Simon Says,” theatre junior Eliza Cave’s strategy was to “not watch other people.” 

“If you were standing behind someone who messed up, your instinct would be to repeat what they did,” Cave said. “You just have to listen.” 

When the games concluded, some participants had thoughts about how it could be improved in the future.

“The [Student Government Association] should make more running games,” communications sophomore Christian Chantayan said. “We expected ‘Knight, Mount, Carry’ to be more running. They should clarify what the games are going to be to help students choose what to do.” 

While some students are eager to join in and even play multiple games, others are not so sure.

“To anyone on the fence about participating, I recommend that they sign up and participate because they’re actually really fun,” visual sophomore Alexander Cano said. “They shouldn’t be embarrassed.”

As the first day came to a close, students reflected on their memories of spirit week. When asked about their favorite aspect of the week, students like dance freshman Sarah Howes said “definitely the outfits,” while others, like Chantayan, pointed to the “atmosphere and the ability to participate.” 

View this post on Instagram

Piano juniors Ethan Cheung and David Liu celebrate their victory in the Knight, Mount, Carry game during Monday’s gym games as the junior class roars with applause, captured by @bellaboo243. During the game, teams of two players assumed one of three poses based on what an announcer said. One player had to “knight,” “mount,” or “carry” the other player. The other games played during lunch were Sharks and Minnows and Simon Says. “Just the idea that David and I had so many people in the front coming down to us, cheering us on, and telling us not to give up gave both of us … confidence and adrenaline,” Cheung said. “After realizing that it was down to the top three [teams], and the rest of the instructions involved physical activities, I was pretty confident […] We were overwhelmed with the feeling of excitement and relief [when] we had won the event.” #dsoasga

A post shared by The Muse (@themuseatdsoa) on