Dreyfoos on Ice
Dreyfoos on Ice
April 22, 2024

Three easy steps to feeling better on Valentine’s Day

+Three+easy+steps+to+feeling+better+on+Valentine%E2%80%99s+Day
Amanda Goodman

Valentine’s Day could be argued as a Hallmark marketing stunt made to boost sales in the chocolate, flower and card industries, but not everyone participates in purchasing gifts. This time can be full of hugs and kisses for those who have someone to share their love with. Opening a cheesy over-glittered, heart-shaped card with a cartoon bumble bee that says “Bee Mine” can bring a smile to even the grumpiest of faces. But if you’re spending this time curled up with a Nicholas Sparks movie and a gallon of ice cream, here are a few easy steps to help a hurting heart:

• Have a movie marathon

If you don’t have anywhere to go, or are uninterested in seeing lovey-dovey couples, pop some corn, make a blanket fort and get your Netflix ready. Tired of the sappy slogans lining the streets? Put on an action movie to get your blood pumping and forget about chocolate while you yell for Liam Neeson to save the day. Does your heart feel dead and your body lifeless? Watch “The Evil Dead” and relate to the darkness of the spirit that attacks everyone, or watch a few romance flicks to cry all of your loneliness away.  

• Surround yourself with friends

The worst sickness on Valentine’s Day is loneliness. The best way to keep that at bay is by getting together with a group of outgoing faces. Plan a night full of Celine Dion songs, cozy blankets, buttered popcorn and assorted ice cream flavors. Have a karaoke session. Stuff your face with sweets and see who can consume the most jelly beans. Whatever you do, keep that smile on your face because laughter is the best medicine.

• Have a party

Are you crying on the bedroom floor hiding from the couples roaming the streets? Host an “I Hate Valentine’s Day” party. Invite only yourself, your dozen cats, the bitter old lady down the block or your angry-at-love friends. Get a piñata in the shape of a heart and prepare to destroy it. Hit it with your ex’s baseball bat or get your bow and arrow ready to crush it to a pulp. Burn photos of your exes and bury his favorite football jersey you found under your bed. Throw the bracelet your ex-girlfriend made you for your birthday into the lake. Don’t spend the day wallowing in sadness: Get up and join your friends in laughing at those who spent a fortune on buying flowers and chocolates.

$750
$10000

Briana Posner
Briana Posner, Entertainment Editor
Briana Posner is a communications senior with a heart and soul for rock n’ roll. You can always find her with her ear buds in, listening to her latest favorite band. When one of them is in town you can catch her in the pit, moshing it out with the best of them. After a concert is over she likes to stake out the tour buses in hopes of receiving an interview with the band. Along with her passion for music, Bri celebrates Halloween every day. Why wait for Fall to wear black in the 100 degree weather? Sporting her Jack Skellington-esque attire you can hear her favorite combat boots clunking across the floor while she’s running back and forth between news rooms.
$750
$10000