Visual/Digital Fall Show

Decorating+the+walls+of+Building+9%2C+artwork+that+spanned+from+photographs+to+articles+of+clothing+adorned+the+walls.+Students+showcased+their+summer+pieces+at+the+annual+Visual%2FDigital+Fall+Showcase+on+Sept.+27.+
Jennifer Jia
Decorating the walls of Building 9, artwork that spanned from photographs to articles of clothing adorned the walls. Students showcased their summer pieces at the annual Visual/Digital Fall Showcase on Sept. 27.

To visual artists, every piece of artwork requires comprehensive planning and hours spent on meticulously constructing each piece. Over the summer, visual and digital media students were required to devise several pieces of artwork to display at the Visual/Digital Summer Show. Because of Hurricane Irma, the original date was postponed, and the event was renamed to acknowledge the transition to autumn. In turn, the Visual/Digital Fall Show was curated to showcase student’s artwork from over the summer.

The Visual/Digital Fall Show took place in Building 9 on Sept. 27, featuring a wide range of artwork that spanned from photographs and articles of clothing, to abstract sculptures and paintings. Students spent their summers brainstorming and constructing various pieces of artwork in preparation for the new school year.

Jennifer Jia

“[Before making the artwork itself], I need inspiration,” visual junior Isabelle Stratton said. “I usually look through some of my favorite artists and make lists about things I’m passionate about or interested in stylistically. Then, I do a couple of thumbnails [or rough drafts] before starting the real piece.”

While at the show, the department provided refreshments and snacks for people who viewed the gallery. The gallery encompassed a wide range of artistic styles that varied between different artists. While one student created an article of clothing that symbolically represented social norms in society, and others displayed black and white photographs, all of the students embraced their individualistic artistic styles.

“I’d like to describe my [artistic] style as striving to create anatomically correct and proportionate figures, for the most part,” Stratton said. “Until recently, I tended to use earthier colors [for my artwork]. I also like to use oil paint as my art medium. People can usually tell my artwork apart from pieces done by other artists.”

On both the first and second floors, artwork adorned the walls, doors, and staircases of the building. Rather than categorizing the artwork by the grade level of the students, the art gallery organized the work to present diversity of all art mediums in every room.

“My inspiration for my artwork comes from my African heritage,” visual senior Tessa Cole said. “[This comes] specifically from the African art that’s hung around my house.”

Jennifer Jia

The visual and digital media departments were determined to showcase the students’ work, despite the need to reschedule the show. A variety of artwork along with the individualistic styles of each piece embellished the rooms of Building 9 for the Visual/Digital Fall Show. The gallery presented an opportunity for students to feature and promote their art to teachers, friends, and family.

“My favorite part about art shows is definitely seeing the other students’ work,” Cole said. “Everyone has such a unique style.”