Major-ly Devoted

It’s not rare for students of Dreyfoos to witness the stereotypes that surround us. We all fall victim to them at some point, whether they be defining ourselves, or our major as a whole. When we first meet someone new at our school, one of the first questions someone may hear being asked is, “What’s your major?”

Personally, I am often asked if I am in visual arts. This could be due to my weird sense of style, my strange personality (though considering this is Dreyfoos, who doesn’t live up to this title?) or maybe my habit of drawing on a constant basis; one may never know. I did originally try out for both visual arts and communications, but I chose to follow the path of film and writing.

From a young age, these art forms went hand in hand for me. Before I learned the internet, I would use drawing to depict my stories and recite the details from memory, much like that of an ancient tale. While writing came naturally, I really had to work harder on improving the way I drew. I poured myself into it, while still writing when inspired. In my last year of middle school, a teacher pointed out my knack for writing and I started making videos. Though I still drew, my focus shifted.

Now, I dedicate hours to both subjects. I highly doubt that I could compete with any of the visual majors here at our school, but I’m still asked, “Are you a visual major?”

When I tell them no, I’m in communications, I usually get a simple “oh,” and a sympathetic glance. Most of us have been through it at least once. The follow up question, if someone is looking at my artwork, is usually something like, “Why don’t you switch majors?”

The answer is simple: I love communications. When I’m buzzing through the journalism rooms, rushing out for interviews, or manning a camera for my newest film project, I feel at home. I find all art forms fascinating, but I couldn’t picture myself anywhere else. True, I may be guilty of doodling all over my notebook during some of my arts classes, and that’s because drawing will always hold a special place in my heart.

When I walk into the upper stories of building one, I’m suddenly in my element. I look around to see memories, family and a real future. Maybe nobody will understand why I wouldn’t pursue visual arts instead, but I’ll never feel ashamed for doing what I love.

$750
$10000

Amanda Goodman
Amanda Goodman, Graphics Editor
Amanda Goodman is a communications junior and graphics editor of The Muse. Aside from the publication, she follows her passions in film production and creative writing. Her other interests include photography, music, and art. Whatever path she chooses in life, she looks forward to the future. Goodman hopes to gain a lot of knowledge and experience, and aspires to help others in many ways such as: providing tutoring to those interested in graphic design programs, volunteering wherever needed, and developing teen support groups. Goodman looks forward to the next year on the publication, trying to help and make improvements in as many ways as possible. She tries to bring a positive go-to attitude to the table, her urge to connect and advise people is non-stop, and she looks forward to putting all her skills to good use this year.
$750
$10000