Self Deprecation

Self+Deprecation
Dani Esquenazi

We’ve all been there at some point; beating yourself up for not doing well on a test, comparing your success to your friends, and feeling worthless because you couldn’t do that one thing everyone else could seemingly can do.

Self deprecation is an issue evidently present in a lot of teens today. It is the act of being overly modest and critical of oneself, and for teens, it is in the form of humor. In an age where memes dominate social media, a common topic to joke about is on the belittlement of oneself. Depression and anxiety have turned into popular jokes followed by a reaction picture that illustrates the sentiment behind the feeling.

Often times, teens wave off their problems by laughing it off. It is a defense mechanism that allows them to internalize their darkest fears and insecurities, in the hopes that they won’t burden those around them. An example of which is when a student compares their progress to another student. For me, I feel like I’m not smart enough as I watch my friends around me piling on multiple AP classes, signing up for dual enrollment, and taking extra FLVS classes online in order to raise their GPA/HPA, as well as boost their place up in the class rank. I know that it is dumb to compare myself to them because I know my limits and I know that I don’t need the added stress, but instead of doing something about it, I make jokes and pretend it doesn’t phase me.

This is an obvious problem that has an obvious solution: don’t compare your progress and success to others. However, in this competitive academic field, it’s hard to appreciate one’s own feats when others are excelling far above you. The need to prove oneself better than others and to stand out among the rest is a mentality present and it shouldn’t be that way.

Ten years from now, that math test you didn’t pass won’t matter. Instead of worrying about what others are doing, focus on yourself and acknowledge your success instead of waving it off. Listen to your mind and body and do what is best for you. If challenging yourself to take on higher placement classes is a route you want to take, go ahead– but don’t do it just because everyone else is. Your intelligence is measured far beyond academics.