#SJW2015: What do people associate with journalism?

A look into journalism from Dreyfoos’ eyes.
(L-R) Strings juniors Kevonna Shuford and Maria Fernandez laugh while discussing the good and bad of journalism. “Journalism [reminds me of] being sneaky and deceptive because the news can be altered slightly depending on the source. The stuff that we hear is normally a little sugarcoated or exaggerated,” Shuford said.  “Journalism reminds me of the truth and exploited pieces of the truth because [journalism] may be completely accurate and a good portion of journalism is that way. However, there is a lot of yellow journalism going on now. Many events are exaggerated and unreliable sources nowadays take little portions of the truth and twist them for public appeal,”  Fernandez said.
Isaac Ochoa
(L-R) Strings juniors Kevonna Shuford and Maria Fernandez laugh while discussing the good and bad of journalism.
“Journalism [reminds me of] being sneaky and deceptive because the news can be altered slightly depending on the source. The stuff that we hear is normally a little sugarcoated or exaggerated,” Shuford said.
“Journalism reminds me of the truth and exploited pieces of the truth because [journalism] may be completely accurate and a good portion of journalism is that way. However, there is a lot of yellow journalism going on now. Many events are exaggerated and unreliable sources nowadays take little portions of the truth and twist them for public appeal,” Fernandez said.
“Reporters. Newspapers. People that document history. Keeping track of the world,” theatre freshman Bridget Gross said.
Isaac Ochoa
“Information, opinions and hopefully facts make up the world of journalism,” strings senior Chris Caravello said.
Isaac Ochoa
“I think of freedom of speech and documentation of historical events [when thinking] of journalism,” vocal sophomore Naiya Osiyemi
Isaac Ochoa
“I think about investigative journalism, especially when looking at governmental and political scandals. Watergate, for example, was a big scandal. Most of the time, I associate journalism with pop culture which I don’t really consider good news,” theatre junior Peter Palmero said.
Isaac Ochoa
$750
$10000

Isaac Ochoa
Isaac Ochoa, Editor-in-Chief
Communications senior Isaac Ochoa is a third-year journalist on The Muse. He hails from south of the border where life is much more mellow yet dangerous. He is president of the Latin-Hispanic Heritage Club and has a passion for the environment that has led him to become a vegetarian. Now reflecting on his four years of high school, he wonders why he joined The Muse. After spending countless hours behind a desk writing, editing, designing and solving last minute setbacks, Ochoa has come to the conclusion that only masochistic students join school newspapers. Fortunately, he doesn't mind the extra work. Ochoa hopes to continue to raise the standards of The Muse through experimental work. Sometimes he fails miserably, but it's okay.
$750
$10000