#SJW2015: Influential stories of 2015

A look into journalism from Dreyfoos’ eyes.
"I'm probably going to have to say the 'American sniper' case. It's been so controversial because it was a marine veteran that killed two navy seal veterans, Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield. As of last night the 'killer' was found guilty of Capital murder. It was crazy to think they survived all the fighting in war, and end up being killed by one of their own in their home country," communications freshman Mercedes Gonzalez said.
Julia Horneck
“I’m probably going to have to say the ‘American sniper’ case. It’s been so controversial because it was a marine veteran that killed two navy seal veterans, Chris Kyle and Chad Littlefield. As of last night the ‘killer’ was found guilty of Capital murder. It was crazy to think they survived all the fighting in war, and end up being killed by one of their own in their home country,” communications freshman Mercedes Gonzalez said.
"I'd say the recent racial comments made by Fashion Police's Giuliana Rancic about Zendaya's dreadlocks at the Oscars [was an important moment in the news for me]. Rancic commented that she looks like she "smells like weed or patchouli oil." Zendaya wrote a response about how dreads are a symbol of strength and beauty in her culture and that they should be seen in a positive light. It's important to me because dreads are a part of my family's culture, and many people were personally offended by her comments," theatre senior Elisabeth Christie said.
Julia Horneck
“I’d say the recent racial comments made by Fashion Police’s Giuliana Rancic about Zendaya’s dreadlocks at the Oscars [was an important moment in the news for me]. Rancic commented that she looks like she “smells like weed or patchouli oil.” Zendaya wrote a response about how dreads are a symbol of strength and beauty in her culture and that they should be seen in a positive light. It’s important to me because dreads are a part of my family’s culture, and many people were personally offended by her comments,” theatre senior Elisabeth Christie said.
"A big journalistic story in 2015 has been ISIS. Especially since many of the victims beheaded by ISIS have been journalists who have traveled to Southwest Asia to see and experience what's happening," strings sophomore Sofia Perez said.
Julia Horneck
“A big journalistic story in 2015 has been ISIS. Especially since many of the victims beheaded by ISIS have been journalists who have traveled to Southwest Asia to see and experience what’s happening,” strings sophomore Sofia Perez said.
$750
$10000

Isaac Ochoa
Isaac Ochoa, Editor-in-Chief
Communications senior Isaac Ochoa is a third-year journalist on The Muse. He hails from south of the border where life is much more mellow yet dangerous. He is president of the Latin-Hispanic Heritage Club and has a passion for the environment that has led him to become a vegetarian. Now reflecting on his four years of high school, he wonders why he joined The Muse. After spending countless hours behind a desk writing, editing, designing and solving last minute setbacks, Ochoa has come to the conclusion that only masochistic students join school newspapers. Fortunately, he doesn't mind the extra work. Ochoa hopes to continue to raise the standards of The Muse through experimental work. Sometimes he fails miserably, but it's okay.
$750
$10000