• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Coach’s Corner: Matthew Vaughan

Photo by Julia Bonavita
Former Royal Palm Beach High School golf coach and new math teacher Matthew Vaughan will head the girls golf team this year. “I have a love for sports, a love to help kids and especially for golf,” Mr. Vaughan said. “I love to be on the course.”

Dreyfoos girls golf has become an afterthought in past years due to a lack of coaching staff. This year, the team has recruited first-year math teacher and girls golf coach Matthew Vaughan, who plans to reignite the excitement behind the sport. Mr. Vaughan has been playing golf for over 15 years and competed in college for two years at State University of New York College at Cortland. Without Mr. Vaughan, the girls team would not have been brought back to Dreyfoos for the 2016-17 season.

“The expectations for myself this year [are] just to have fun,” Mr Vaughan said. “Just to enjoy doing it and to enjoy the girl’s company, watching them improve. I wanted to start [coaching] because I love the sport and love to help kids. It’s fun to be outside [and] I’m also a competitor.”

In an effort to gather a girls golf team this year, Mr. Vaughan spread the word around  school by putting up signs, making announcements, and working hard to get girls to show up to play. Mr. Vaughan was brought to the Dreyfoos girls golf team by social studies teacher and boys golf coach Sara Stout.

“I came in contact with him last year when he was the golf coach at [Royal Palm High School,]” Mrs.Stout said. “He was excellent with our boys last year, treated them well, and I think he’s a great guy. [I’m] excited he’s an addition to the math department here and I think he has a fantastic character and will fit in well with the Dreyfoos family.”

Mr. Vaughan plans to use his competitive nature to help his players improve each time they step on the course. Mr. Vaughan plans to bring leadership, fairness, and competitiveness to the team as he makes his coaching debut in Dreyfoos golf.

“This year I want [my players] to better their scores and more importantly have fun,” Mr. Vaughan said. “I want them to enjoy being out there just as I do. If they love being out there then it will force them to work harder. It’s not about beating the other team; it’s about beating yourself and getting better everyday.”