• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

BREAKING: JUNE SAT CANCELED, SEPTEMBER SAT MAY BE ONLINE

Allison Robbert

College Board CEO David Coleman announced that the June 6 SAT test is canceled. 

“Our first principle with the SAT and all our work must be to keep families and students safe,” Coleman wrote in a press release today. “The second principle is to make the SAT as widely available as possible for students who wish to test, regardless of the economic or public health circumstances.”

The College Board estimates that a million students in the class of 2021 have not been able to test because of school closures.

The next SAT test is planned for August 29. This and subsequent tests will be administered online if schools are still closed. Students who are registered for the June SAT will get a voucher and will be able to register early for the August SAT.

If the SAT goes online, cheating will be a top concern. 

“It will require remote proctoring at a scale not yet seen,” Coleman said in an interview with Forbes

Online proctoring involves proctors watching students through their computer cameras, though such efforts are not a guaranteed fix.

“The rate of confirmed cheating attempts, no-question-about-it cheating, would blow you away,” Scott Mcfarland, the CEO of ProcterU, the largest online proctoring company, said in an interview with Forbes, “And it’s going up, even during this pandemic, people are taking advantage to cheat more.”

Ensuring that the SAT test is accessible to students who do not have computer access will also be a challenge. Nationwide, 3 million students do not have computer or broadband internet access.

After The College Board canceled the May SAT, 50 colleges became test optional for the graduating class of 2021. This new cancellation, along with a possibly insecure online test in August, may compel more colleges to become test optional. 

“This virus hits students very differently depending on their circumstances,” Coleman said, “There has never been an event that I can recall that’s laid bare the division and inequalities in our society.”