• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

The Chords of Childhood

Graphic by digital junior Marco Estrella

“Mistress Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?” This age-old rhyme has left the mouths of children around the world in the spirit of fun and innocence. It is just another children’s rhyme, except for the part where “Mistress Mary” refers to Queen Mary I of England, whose infamous nickname happens to be “Bloody Mary.” Oh, and the garden referred to by the children is actually a graveyard of executed Protestants, slain on the orders of famed Bloody Mary herself. Although we don’t realize it, many of the children’s rhymes we used to sing so innocently on the playground have dark, hidden meanings.

The children’s song “Rock-a-bye-baby” begins harmlessly enough, until you get to the well-known verse, “down will come baby, cradle and all.” Many parents savor the memory of rocking their little ones to sleep to this simple lullaby and should not be disturbed by the thought of of their own baby falling out of a tree to their death. I say, out with the old and in with the new, by new I mean something classier than death by cradle treetop.

We all can remember twirling around in a circle of linked hands when we were younger, singing the notorious line “ashes, ashes, we all fall down.” “Ring around the Rosie,” a rhyme that was inspired by a disease that killed over 20 million Europeans in the 1300s, alludes to The Black Death. Today, children sing this rhyme with the belief that there is no darker subtext to the tune. In actuality, ‘Rosie’ is a reference to a rash that infected patients obtained on their skin. The “pocket full of posies” were worn to rid the smell of rotting flesh the rashes caused. This is quite morbid for a child to be singing, especially when you get to the “ashes, ashes” part, which of course refers to the cremating of the victims The Black Death took.

The songs and nursery rhymes that we know and love are tradition, and traditions are hard to change, but when I think about how my childhood happiness was based off of rhymes with cruel origins, I start to shudder. Although at a young age, I couldn’t read between the lines into the morbid truths that made up the seemingly colorful rhymes, I often wish those songs had not been sung to me, and those rhymes not been said before I went to sleep. Now, when I hear the voice of my little sister softly singing “London Bridge is falling down,” I can only freeze in terror as her voice rings through my head. In that moment, I’m back to being a child, spinning around in that circle of children, waiting in anticipation for that moment where we all fall down.

$750
$10000

Alana Gomez
Alana Gomez, Assistant Managing Editor
Communications senior Alana Gomez is a third-year staffer and Assistant Managing Editor on The Muse. Apart from her love for journalism, Gomez also writes nonfiction and fiction stories in her spare time. She enjoys reading and history class almost as much as she does writing because it is both an escape from reality and a great learning experience. Gomez is the vice president of Key Club, a community outreach coordinator for National Honor Society, and is involved in many other in-school activities. Other than her many school clubs, Gomez is also a sports fanatic, and has played flag-football for 10 years. Gomez enjoys music ranging from classic rock to Biggie Smalls, and powerful quotes and Steve Carell are usually enough to cheer her up on a bad day. She also keeps a special place in her heart for everything sci-fi, fantasy, and comic book, a love established by her father and his geeky influence. Gomez is still figuring out her future but she knows that no matter where she ends up in life, she will never stop writing.
$750
$10000