• April 8Grad Bash April 12th at 1 p.m. in Universal Studios Orlando
  • April 8No School on April 10th
  • April 8Juniors Rising Seniors Photographs on April 8th and 9th during Language Arts class in the Media Center
  • April 8Pops Concert on April 9th at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall

Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Hola, Nihao, Hello, Shalom
Vocal sophomore Levi Cowen plays the drums during the sophomores’ Battle of the Bands rehearsal. The sophomores had to perform songs from the techno genre.
Jamming to Win

[BRIEF] Speech and Debate Team Hosts First Tournament Since the Pandemic

Over 100 competitors attended a tournament organized by Speech and Debate team members
Sofia Hennessey-Correa
Handing out medals, communications juniors Callum Curran and Josiah Manners congratulate the winners in Original Oratory, an original 10-minute memorized speech. “The most humbling experience was being able to present medallions to students, some of whom were my own fellow debate team members,” Manners said. “To see the excitement in their eyes and to feel the gratitude in their hearts was what really made my job even more special.”

The Southeast Florida Civics & Debate (SEFCDI) tournament, the first in-person Speech and Debate competition held on campus since the pandemic, hosted competitors from Palm Beach County, Martin County, and Okeechobee County on Oct. 15. 

The onsite location of the tournament allowed Speech and Debate Team officers and varsity members the opportunity to volunteer. Volunteers served as guides, judges, and concession workers. For many, it served as a way to help and assist competitors – including the novice members of the Dreyfoos Speech and Debate Team who are in their first year of high school competition.

“Helping out in general was amazing and quite humbling because it reminded me of my first debate tournament, and how so many people were committed and willing to help me as I navigated the tournament,” communications junior and varsity team member Josiah Manners said.