Dreyfoos on Ice
Dreyfoos on Ice
April 22, 2024

Senior Night Lights

The girl’s volleyball team celebrated its seniors at the last home game of the season
Natalie Ryder
After giving her junior to senior speech, theatre junior Adaleigh Wagner hugs visual senior Zofia Killeen. This annual tradition allows a junior to write a speech for a senior they are close to. “(Wagner) and I have been playing together for two years, and we have become such good friends,” Killeen said. “It meant so much that she made my speech, and it made my eyes water a little bit.”

The girls volleyball team honored its seniors at the last home game of the season, claiming a victory against John I. Leonard High School on Friday, Oct. 7 with a final score of 3-1. This win contributed to the “electric” morale of the team at their annual Senior Night. 

The four seniors leading the team were honored by fellow teammates, coach Michael Esopakis, and students in attendance. While the team warmed up, students set up banners for the seniors as the bleachers began to fill with people. 

“It’s going to be a battle.” Mr. Esopakis said before the match. 

Before the game began, all four seniors were awarded golden volleyballs, a Senior Night tradition. “(It was) bittersweet for sure,” vocal senior Amelia Guiliani said. “I’ve been excited for Senior Night since freshman year, but it’s also sad that it’s my last season, and it’s almost over.”
(Natalie Ryder)

After 15 minutes of warming up, a buzzer sounded, and the teams high fived each other at the net. Before the game commenced, junior team members read a speech for their partnered senior, a tradition “that has been going on for years” communications sophomore Olivia Williams said.

The four seniors, vocal majors Madison Silver and Amelia Giuliani, strings major Aine Mullen, and visual major Zofia Killeen, were awarded with golden volleyballs painted like trophies.

(Natalie Ryder)

Then, with yells of “Play Ball!” the game began.

Although the first few minutes of the game were slow for the team, after a timeout was called, they gained a substantial lead and won the first set. With every point scored, “Dreyfoos Magic” chants filled the gym.

Cheering and holding handmade signs, students show their support for the team. “It feels really good to see all of the students who went out of their way to come support the team at the game,” Mullen said.
(Natalie Ryder)

The Jaguars came up short in the second set, making the score 1-1. However, the team persevered, an ability that Williams attributes to their togetherness.

“As a team, we’re really close and like a family,” Williams said. “We have fun when we’re playing and it carries through to how we do in our sets.”

The team won the third and fourth sets, securing the victory. As the final buzzer sounded, the team celebrated and the spectators joined in from the sidelines.

Before the game, vocal senior Madison Silver smiles at the junior reading her speech. “As a senior and a captain, I care a lot more about building a team who trust each other and like playing together (more) than winning,” Silver said. “We’re all truly friends on the team.”
(Natalie Ryder)