• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Home for the Holidays: a Guide to Winter Celebrations During the Pandemic

Allison Robbert

The coronavirus pandemic has given a new meaning to the term “Home for the Holidays” in 2020. This winter, the United States has met a third COVID wave, and Palm Beach County is currently at risk of an outbreak, which makes focusing on social distancing imperative to maintaining safety this holiday season. This year, abnormal regulations have separated celebrations from those of previous years. The Muse has created a guide to a variety of pandemic-friendly holiday activities, complete with movies, songs, treats, and safe socializing plans that will allow you to enjoy the holidays while staying healthy, and keeping your distance with that 39.5 foot pole you purchased in late November.

• Movies: 

Movie marathons are practically a ritual as the holidays near and are a safe way to celebrate from home. The Muse has chosen classic holiday movies, perfect for bingeing over the break. We suggest grabbing a snack or two (see below for some ideas) and a cozy blanket, because once the marathon starts, you may never want to stop.

“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” (1964) (G)

“A Charlie Brown Christmas” (1965)

“Home Alone” (1990) (PG)

“The Polar Express” (2004) (G)

“How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (1966) (recommended age 4+ by Commonsense media)

“Elf” (2003) (PG)

“The Santa Clause” (1994) (PG)

“A Christmas Story” (1983) (PG)

• Music: 

Music is another great way to get into the holiday spirit. We all heard and loved the pregame of holiday tunes in November, but now is time to raise the bar. Although it’s 79 degrees and sunny, this playlist will make you feel like it’s snowing outside of your warm, cozy, imaginary cabin.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1UJhTH9ZtuoZVqnBCAaoue 

• Baking: 

Who doesn’t enjoy a mug of hot chocolate or a gingerbread man during the holidays? Although you may be baking for a smaller group this year, baking is still a perfect home activity. Here are some recipes for classic holiday treats. Enjoy cookies, hot chocolate, and peppermint bark, and trust me, your taste buds will thank you later!

Gingerbread Cookies

Hot Chocolate

Peppermint Bark

• Safe Social Interactions

Although social distancing has put a damper on holiday parties and gift exchanges, there are still ways to interact and celebrate during the holiday season with family and friends. Mailed gift exchanges and holiday Zoom parties have created a way to socialize and gather safely. Specifically, Boston University suggests hosting online events such as virtual viewing parties, holiday-themed scavenger hunts, escape rooms, and virtual classes to connect during the holidays.