• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

GUIDE TO CRUELTY FREE BEAUTY PRODUCTS

Jenevieve Norton

When going through one’s day-to-day routine, the last thing people think about is where the products they use came from or how they were made. Many don’t give it a second thought or  just don’t want to give up that rich pigment, smooth application, and illustrious scent. Some would rather watch a bunny swim in chemicals than give up their favorite shampoo. Quality isn’t something that has to be sacrificed when switching to cruelty-free products, so why does it continue?

Animal testing has been practiced throughout the United States since the early 1920s. Animals such as rabbits, dogs, cats, and primates have been subject to testing for the development of not only cosmetics, but all kinds of drugs, including household cleaning products, food additives, and pesticides. For cosmetic tests, bunnies, guinea pigs, mice, and rats are the main victims. Other animals are used for medical research, neurological studies, and even toxicology tests.

Countless animals have been sentenced to a life of torture in captivity to be tested upon and forgotten once their purpose has been fulfilled. A multitude of researchers from popular brands such as MAC Cosmetics, L’Oreal, and even Clorox, participate in corrupt tests such as those. The results of these tests do not yield precise results for humans, and there are over 7,000 safe ingredients that cosmetic companies can choose from to formulate their products. There’s nothing that justifies animal testing in the 21st Century. It’s a cruel and outdated practice that’s not only unethical, but also unnecessary. Here are some cruelty-free companies to easily switch over to:

1. e.l.f cosmetics (makeup)
  2. Yes to Carrots (skin care)
  3. NYX Professional Makeup (makeup)
  4. Lush (body, hair, makeup, perfume, and skincare)
  5. Method (cleaning)
  6. Mrs. Meyers (cleaning)
  7. The Body Shop (body)
  8. Aveda (hair)
  9. Anastasia Beverly Hills (makeup)
  10. Tarte (makeup, skin care)
  11. Fenty Beauty (makeup)
  12. Too Faced (makeup)
  13. Wet n Wild (makeup)
  14. Bare Minerals (makeup/skincare)
  15. Urban Decay (makeup)
  16. Physicians Formula (skincare)
  17. Milani (makeup)
  18. EcoTools (makeup brushes)
  19. Smashbox (skincare & makeup)