• April 15Intent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

THE TRUE STORY OF THANKSGIVING

We’ve all been there—around the table on some date near the end of November, eating a dry and uninteresting bird while sitting with strange family members that you may have only met once. However, despite the lackluster feast, the story of Thanksgiving is as American as apple pie and invading a Middle Eastern country.

The true—American—story of Thanksgiving starts sometime long ago. These people came over from England trying to escape the tyrannical, evil king ruling the land. They, as red-blooded patriots, came to this previously undiscovered land and claimed it for themselves. But fate did not favor our brave heroes, as a terrible winter came and made planting crops nearly impossible. However, some friendly savages living in the forest came over to our heroes and offered them what little knowledge they had. They taught our heroes how to plant corn, wheat, and vegetables, so they could sustain themselves for the rest of the winter. In return for this knowledge, the pilgrims bestowed upon the savages a great feast with turkey and cranberry sauce as far as the eye can see.

There are people living in our great nation who would have you believe that this is not how the story of Thanksgiving actually happened. However, it must be noted that these people are filthy, anti-American, communist sympathizers. These dissidents will have you believe that the holiday of Thanksgiving was declared in 1863 by Abraham Lincoln—like that would ever happen! Or they would even try to claim that the original Thanksgiving was a celebratory feast in 1637 that occurred after a hunting party of innocent pilgrims came and slaughtered a bunch of native tribesmen—as if the Pilgrims would ever hurt the natives!

As we approach the season of Thanksgiving we, as red-blooded American patriots, must remember to shield ourselves from such dissent. The tradition of Thanksgiving is no less American than football or incredulous amounts of college debt. So to protect yourself from communist influence, it is recommended that you bake a turkey for way longer than it should be baked, buy the cheapest can of mashed potatoes at the market, and decorate your house with the most stereotypical fall decor, such as hay bales or a slightly too-friendly scarecrow.

So as you sit around the table, slowly falling into a food coma from the sheer amount of carbs you ate with a football game providing a comforting white noise to your slumber, remember the true nature of Thanksgiving. Maybe those years of your high school teacher telling you anti-American lies will slowly start to fade from memory.

Remember Folks this is satire

View Comments (1)
$750
$10000

Mark Shteyman
Mark Shteyman, Writer
I'm just a guy who writes about the things around him.
$750
$10000

• E

Ed CattaneoNov 27, 2019 at 4:29 pm

To begin with the first “Thanksgiving” was thanking God for the Pilgrims’ well-being; however, things weren’t exactly how we learned in school. To begin with the community started out as a communistic collective that even with the help of the Indians did not flourish. Everything went into one pot, so to speak, that was supposed to pay their sponsors (investors) back in England; however, it didn’t work.

A key factor that all schoolchildren should be taught involved a bit of reality that inspired Governor Bradford to do away with their socialistic system. The Governor gave each family their own plot of land to work and keep the fruits of their labor after which their little market-driven capitalistic community prospered. And low and behold, they soon had more than they needed and things went well as they traded with the Indians and paid off their sponsors back in England.

Reply