• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

MEDITATION AND ASTRAL PROJECTION

MEDITATION AND ASTRAL PROJECTION
Graphic by Madison LaRocque

For many high school students, it is not easy to relax. Daily stressors such as school work, social lives, family problems, and mental health issues can make calming down much more difficult than it should be. This built-up angst can make it hard for students to function in their day-to-day lives. While many seek out dangerous substances in order to take the edge off, others have begun to look to a more spiritual approach that is both more beneficial and significantly healthier: meditation.

According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, “Meditation is a mind and body practice that has a long history of use for increasing calmness and physical relaxation, improving psychological balance, coping with illness, and enhancing overall health and well-being.” This practice has been used throughout generations, especially in cultures such as Buddhism, which is practically centered around the idea of reaching enlightenment through meditation. These ideals are incredibly important, especially as teens continue to find themselves in the maze of hormones and social anxiety they are constantly trapped in.

With that being said, nowadays meditating at a young age is becoming increasingly popular, especially since the push for a healthier lifestyle began. This newfound movement of young people meditating is highly beneficial to those participating in it. Stress can negatively impact an individual, especially younger ones. In fact, chronic stress is known to accelerate the shortening of telomeres, which are responsible for preserving the body’s chromosomes. Once these telomeres fade away, chromosomes start to deteriorate, ultimately leading to a weaker immune system and bones, along with other complications. A study published by ScienceDirect actually found that “long-term meditators had a reduced inflammatory and stress response to psychological and chemical stressors in the lab compared with a control group.”

This could indicate that on top of the numerous benefits that it holds, meditating at a younger age can help lead to a longer life expectancy. But like any other activity, meditation can range from simple to complex practices.

Astral projection, an incredibly difficult form of meditation, occurs when one becomes so relaxed and in touch with their body and spirit that they become capable of having an out-of-body experience. This would involve having one’s spirit, or astral form, physically exit their own body. This astral form is capable of almost anything, including flight.

While many are skeptical, the practice has gained popularity as more and more people continue to share their experiences. Hundreds of YouTubers have shared their own astral projection stories, and they all match up. Many have stated that their experiences involved fighting off demons, seeing angels, flying into space, and even astral sex. These matching experiences only further legitimize the art of astral projection.

While its accuracy is still debated by many, there are too many matching stories for the practice to be fake. Regardless, meditation is a worthy investment of time, especially if you have difficulty relaxing. It is a great way to calm the body, as well as the soul. Meditation will not only lead to a healthier and more relaxing lifestyle but also a more joyful one. For high school students especially, simply devote as little as 10 minutes a day to meditation, and you will feel like a completely different person by the end of the first week.

View Comments (2)
$750
$10000

Tommy McCabe
Tommy McCabe, Opinion Editor
Communications junior Tommy McCabe is a second-year Opinion Editor for The Muse. McCabe is involved in many extracurricular activities both inside and outside of school. As an Eagle Scout, he hopes to get into the best college he can after graduation. His main focus as a communications major is film, in which he is able to perform almost all of the jobs, both behind camera and in front. He is also very passionate about having a healthy lifestyle and is very strict when it comes to diet and exercise.   If you would like to contact this staffer, you may reach them at [email protected]
$750
$10000

• T

Tina CaroDec 24, 2020 at 10:03 am

great article on Astral Projection. Loved reading it!

Reply
  • A

Angie McCawJul 14, 2020 at 11:29 am

Thank you for sharing this info as I am CONTINUING my personal research & experience here.?

Reply