• February 12K2 Piano Recital on Feb 16 at at 6 p.m.
  • February 12Hairy Details on Feb 16 at 11:19 a.m.
  • February 12Spring Athletics Photos on Feb 16 at 11:00 a.m.
  • February 12Vocal Senior Showcase on Feb 15 at 6 p.m.
  • February 12NHS Meeting on Feb 14 at 11:19 a.m.
  • February 12Arts Club Meeting on Feb 13 at 11:19 a.m.
  • February 12Cards 4 Care JFK Hospital Field Trip on Feb 12 at 4 p.m.

Licensed under Public Domain by Jack Weir
A Look Into American Journalism’s Past
February 20, 2024
Valentines Day Polls
Valentine's Day Polls
February 13, 2024

[BRIEF] Leaving it All on the Court

Seniors on the girls basketball team reminisce about this past season during Senior Night on Jan. 28
Caitlin Villacrusis
Communications senior and girls basketball co-captain Se’Maj Griffin throws the ball to the team’s offensive players during their Senior Night against The Pine School on Dec. 28. The game finished as a 23-17 Dreyfoos loss.

Beyond the bright lights and enthralled fans of their home court, Senior Night was a rite of passage for the graduating members of the girls basketball team. Jan. 28, the girls took on The Pine School and came up just short, losing 23-17. 

“As a teammate and captain, I’m honored to have been able to play,” communications senior and co-captain Se’Maj Griffin said. “Watching them play from the first game to the last game was insane. It’s extraordinary how much they’ve grown as a team. I’m happy regardless because we still saw positive improvement.”

Despite the outcome of the final game, the bond the team built throughout the three-month long season was one of their largest takeaways from the year. After the game, five underclassmen gave a speech for each of the five seniors, who were also given buckets filled with their favorite foods and candies.

“It was a complete surprise,” Griffin said. “We didn’t know that they were going to do a senior night. I thought it was put together, unique, creative, and cute. It made me feel really special.”