[BRIEF] Winter’s Cupids

A Prom to Remember brought back the annual “Winter Singing Telegrams” to benefit teens battling cancer
Alana Cavanagh

Corrections were made to this story on [12/15/2021]. 

An extra quotation mark was placed at the beginning of the quote “All of the bags of candy … ” The extra quotation mark has been removed.

The story below has been corrected with the noted revisions. 

On Dec. 8 and 9, students dressed in togas sang together in a chorus of “We Wish You a Merry Christmas,” while delivering a Winter Singing Telegram. Dreyfoos’ chapter of A Prom to Remember hosted this event to raise money to host a prom for teens with life-threatening cancer diagnoses.

“The inspiration behind the singing telegrams was to raise money for (A Prom to Remember) in a way that also included some fun for students,” vocal junior and A Prom to Remember President Sophie Michaelis said. “They have become a tradition for our club at Dreyfoos, as they have been happening since the beginning of the club’s formation. We love helping this organization as all of the funding goes towards a wonderful cause, one that hits close to home for many of our officers and members. We think what they do is so important, so we want to do everything we can to support them.”

Members of A Prom to Remember and the A Capella club organized this event together.

“We had to organize the dates and money through the bookkeeper who also helped us open the telegrams (…) We recruited members to volunteer to run around at lunch to sell the telegrams and to donate candy,” Michaelis said. “All of the bags of candy were hand wrapped individually to be delivered to their recipients. The actual telegrams also involved recruiting twenty eight cupids and members of A Capella club.”