[BRIEF] Bringing Holiday Joy with Books and Toys

NEHS and SHS donated books and toys to Luciano Martinez Elementary students for the holidays

Alex Pham

Visual juniors Arianna Sanchez and Natalie Alcover Carrasqui wrap gifts collected by the Spanish Honor Society as part of their holiday toy drive. The toys will be gifted to elementary school students alongside books the National English Honor Society donated, and each of the toys were purchased based on what the sponsored students requested on their Christmas lists. “I think it’s really nice to just give kids who aren’t fortunate enough to open a Christmas present (…) something to look forward to, and just give them that little magic miracle,” Sanchez said.

Alex Pham, Web Editor

A copy of Mo Willems’ “Don’t Let the Pigeon Ride the Bus!” sits atop a stack of other elementary school-level books on the floor of Spanish teacher Lori Brown’s classroom. Nearby, rolls of wrapping paper cover tables, and neatly wrapped gifts await their arrivals to new homes.

The National English Honor Society (NEHS) hosted a book drive to donate to underprivileged kids for the holidays. They accepted any elementary-level books up until Dec. 8.

Alongside books, students at Luciano Martinez Elementary School will receive toys that the Spanish Honor Society donated during their holiday toy drive. Each student sponsored during the event will receive four books from NEHS and two toys.

“I just want to bring some joy to kids’ lives (and) help their holiday season,” NEHS and Spanish Honor Society president Natalia Sanchez said. “Toys are fun and books are more educational (…) I want them to have fun and strengthen their reading.”