• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

12/9-12/15 NEWS BRIEF: PSAT SCORE RELEASE, BOYS BASKETBALL TEAM OPENER, JEFFERSON JUBILEE, AND MORE

Amanda Cohen
Here are some of the biggest events and news stories that took place the week of Dec. 9–15.

PSAT Score Release 

• Dec. 9

Last Monday, students woke up to discover their score on this year’s PSAT. Students in 9th, 10th, and 11th grade took the PSAT on Oct. 16 to assess their reading, writing, and mathematical skills. Scored out of 1520, the test is used to identify students eligible for the National Merit Scholarship Program in 11th grade. 

“Students should take the PSAT seriously because they can receive many accolades or even rewards,” vocal sophomore Kayla Zakarin said. “Sleep deprivation was an issue for me the night before [the test], but my score was quite a wonderful surprise.” 

Boys Basketball Team Home Opener

• Dec. 10

With less than a minute to play in overtime against Morningside Academy, strings freshman Keon Allen knocked down a 3-pointer that sealed the first win this season for the Jaguars boys basketball team.

“We were cold during the fourth quarter, but after Keon [Allen] nailed that clutch shot, I had confidence that we would win,” strings senior Will Penn said. “Moving forward, we need to keep our focus and stay calm and [collected].” 

Jefferson Jubilee

• Dec. 13

On Friday, the A.R.T.S. Club held their annual Jefferson Jubilee in the Media Center from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event brought together students and children from four Palm Beach County elementary schools. Students in the club donated gifts to the children and saw their smiling faces as each child received a total of five gifts. 

“At the beginning, the entire room was filled with excitement. Towards the end, it was bittersweet saying goodbye to the kids,” A.R.T.S. Club member and theatre sophomore Nicolette Carew said. “Seeing the kids laugh and smile made me so happy.” 

Juice WRLD Tribute 

• Dec. 13 

Following the death of American rapper Juice WRLD on Dec. 8 in his hometown of Chicago, Illinois, the Black Student Union organized an opportunity for students to honor the life and career of the up-and-coming artist. The event was also held to learn from his passing, as it discussed the glorification of drugs in the music industry and how it changed the perceptions of young fans. 

“Many students felt a connection to his music, as many of his songs involved mental health and subjects they could relate to,” communications junior Joshua Kenny said. “His death can teach fans about the amount of negative consequences associated with drugs.”

View Comments (1)
$750
$10000

Charlie Blackwell
Charlie Blackwell, News Writer
Communications sophomore Charlie Blackwell is a staffer for the news section and is currently enjoying his first year on The Muse. He’s very interested in learning more about the world around him and journalism, so the news section was a perfect fit. At Dreyfoos, Charlie is a member of the Speech and Debate and Academic Games teams. Outside of The Muse, he enjoys acting in commercials and various theatre productions, playing basketball, and listening to music with friends. Charlie is incredibly excited to widen his knowledge of journalism and gain a second family as a member of The Muse.  If you would like to contact this staffer, you may reach them at [email protected]
$750
$10000

• P

Patrick JeffersonFeb 17, 2020 at 11:54 am

Can you please post an updated news brief????? I’ve been waiting for 2 months!!

Reply