CITY PLACE CONSTRUCTION: NEWS UPDATE

Photo by The Palm Beach Post

Over the past several months, Dreyfoos students and other West Palm Beach residents have seen road closures, construction zones, and rehabilitation projects all over the downtown district. Here are some of the changes to the downtown area expected to be implemented in the upcoming months:

Construction Projects

At the intersection of Rosemary Avenue and Evernia Street, across from Publix, an 18-story office building named 360 Rosemary is set to be built. The building, only minutes away from the Brightline train platform, is the most recent urban construction project in a series of rehabilitations to the mixed-use district. Originally planning to occupy the first floor of the office building, Publix is set to remain in its current location, opening up the new space to another retailer.

The Kravis Center has also been under construction for several months since approval for a renovation in 2018. By tearing down the main window and building an interactive walkup, the performing arts center hopes it can respond to the growth of the downtown era and be a part of the new urban renovations the CityPlace area is undergoing. In addition, a new garage is being built where the outdoor Gosman Amphitheatre once stood, with the hope to increase parking efficiency.

Road Closures

In the CityPlace district, several road closures have impeded both road and walking traffic. As an end to the roadscape project nears, the city posts weekly updates on the status of the closures:

• Rosemary Avenue between Okeechobee Boulevard and Hibiscus Street: Full closure until April 12, 2019
  • Hibiscus Street between Rosemary Avenue and Quadrille Boulevard: Full closure until further notice

Community Projects

Vision Zero is a nationwide community safety campaign being implemented in West Palm Beach in order to create a transportation network with no fatalities or injuries. Stressing cycling and safe public transit, the city has sponsored several community events and informational projects to encourage residents to be conscious and safe. Earlier this month, Vision Zero hosted a community safety fair, and upcoming events include safety presentations for elderly drivers and high school students, along with a bike to work event in March.

Funded by a $125,000 grant, the City of West Palm Beach has commissioned an interactive art project along Quadrille Avenue, titled Shade Parade. Taking the form of a series of oversized umbrellas, the project hopes to provide both shelter on the sidewalk and a pop of color to the downtown district. The City’s Art in Public Places program will handle construction of the art project.