From High School to College in the Span of a Week

Aside+from+her+job+in+the+media+center+at+Dreyfoos%2C+media+specialist+Sarah+Garcia+works+at+Palm+Beach+State+College+as+a+tutor.+
Sydney Webb
Aside from her job in the media center at Dreyfoos, media specialist Sarah Garcia works at Palm Beach State College as a tutor.

One of media specialist Sarah Garcia’s first jobs out of college was working at Palm Beach State College (PBSC). She liked her job so much that, even after getting a position at Dreyfoos, Garcia continued to work part time at the college.

“I work as a reading tutor in the Student Learning Center at the [Palm Beach] Gardens campus,” Garcia said. “Students have to come into the Student Learning Center for their reading class to do supplemental work with tutors, who help them through that process.”

In order to avoid conflicts with her Dreyfoos work hours, Garcia works at PBSC on non-school days such as the weekends. She also plans on working as a tutor with the college over the summer.

“I am able to keep my job through the summer when I’m not working in the school, so I can work full-time then,” Garcia said. “It’s good to have the extra cash flow.”

Garcia described her workplace set up as giving off a science lab feel. There are tutors for each subject who are in different sections of the Student Learning Center, so the students can congregate there but still have privacy. The students there appreciate what their tutors do for them, as it is an easily-accessible, on-campus location with one-on-one and small group sessions.

“Two years or so ago, one of my students wanted to thank me for helping him,” Garcia said. “So he brought me fried chicken. That was the weirdest thing that’s happened.”  

PBSC students have greatly benefited from tutors like Garcia, according to the college’s official website. With her two teaching jobs, Garcia has brought her expertise to both high schoolers and college students in Palm Beach County.