Offbeat Obsessions

Students share their current niche interests
Offbeat+Obsessions
Ashwin Kishor

From listening to popular musicians like Taylor Swift and Drake to wearing baggy jeans, when it comes to popular trends, many high school students like to participate. However, some students have less mainstream indulgences. The Muse asked eight students about their recent obsessions.

Winter Clothes

communications junior Bianca Zapatier

“I’ve always been obsessed with winter clothes. It’s the fashion that people wear for colder weather, (like) boots, scarves, and jackets. I just think that it’s (my obsession) ironic, having lived in Florida my whole life, it’s 85 degrees all the time. Whenever people come to my house, they see my closet, and it’s just a ton of winter clothing.”

“Pirates of the Caribbean”

vocal sophomore Gabriella Diaz

“I rewatched all the movies at least three times. I even have a quote on my water bottle that I love: ‘The problem is not the problem; the problem is your attitude about the problem,’ from Captain Jack Sparrow.”

“Afterglow”

communications sophomore Ava Fiala

“I like Taylor Swift, and lately, I’ve listened to her more obscure songs on the album (lover). I like ‘Afterglow.’ I feel like it’s just very calming but also impactful. I love her voice and the rhythm of the song.”

Dave Mustain

visual sophomore Gemma Santarpia 

“I like Dave Mustaine, the lead singer of Megadeth. His music is like the greatest thing ever; it’s heavy metal. I have a shirt I made for the concert that says, ‘I love you Dave Mustaine,’ with the cheetah print heart on it; a shirt my brother designed for me with his face on it with a neon heart; and I have a shirt that I stole from my mom that says ‘Dave Mustaine for President’ with his face.”

Languages

digital media junior Emily Lingenfelder 

“I’ve been learning a lot of different languages. I like the ability to use words differently and be able to communicate (in) different ways in my language as well as (in) others. The ability to communicate is really important to me. I’ve been learning French for a few years (and) my friend is teaching me Russian.”

Baking French desserts

digital media junior Nosagie Irorere

“My grandmother grew up in South America. She was a really good baker. She always really liked French desserts and started making them more often. I ended up taking a liking to it and learning from her as well. Even though she’s gone now, I hold French pastries and my grandmother dear to me, (and) that’s why I make them quite a lot.”

Crocheting

strings sophomore Tianna Grannum

“My recent obsession is mostly crocheting and making clothes for myself. It’s a great way to release my creativity without pressure. (Crocheting) is really relaxing. I also think it helps me make a lot of decisions in life. I started during the pandemic, and it just felt like a good way to release some stress.” 

Daniel Caesar

strings senior Liana Calma

“I like Daniel Caesar’s music in general, but, as an artist, I feel like whenever I listen to his music, I can feel the emotion.”