• March 27No School because of Good Friday on 3/29/24
  • March 27No School on 3/25/24
  • March 27Asian Cultural Society Holi Holiday on 3/28/24 at 11:19 a.m. at the Blue Tables Outside Cafeteria
  • March 27Scholarship Night on 3/27/24 at 6 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • March 27Dual Enrollment Meeting on 3/27/24 at 11:19 a.m. in the Cafeteria

IDENTIDAD—BEING WHO YOU ARE

Building 2 was filled with the sounds of trumpets, guitars, and the smooth music 

of “Guantanamera” as the Latin Hispanic Heritage Club opened their Identidad showcase at lunch on Sept. 26. Identidad, meaning identity, showcased the pieces and performances of students with Hispanic identities in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, which lasts from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.

“I think it’s very important to give a voice to people who feel that they haven’t 

been represented,” said communications senior Julia Guerrero, who is the co-president of the Latin Hispanic Heritage Club. “I wanted to do something that people will remember.”

In preparation for the event, club members reached out to students across campus for support and stayed after school to set up the showcase. Students in various honor societies were also given the opportunity to earn hours through their participation in Hispanic heritage educational activities. 

“Well, it’s a lot of work. It’s a lot of organizing people and contacting honor 

Societies,” Guerrero said. “[I use] my positions on both yearbook and [National] History Honor Society, and I just want to make connections to my friends to put together something like this.” 

Many students of Hispanic descent expressed their heritage through their visual 

art pieces. Some of the artwork showcased included self-portraits that highlighted their cultures. 

“When I do self-portraits, I often include things that remind me of my Guatemalan and Spanish heritage,” visual senior Emma Leonardo said. “My art forces me to reflect on what made me who I am, and my heritage has a big role in shaping the person I’ve become.”

In addition to the visual showcase, band junior Aidan Taylor and band seniors Anthony Oro, Adam Johnson, David Galli, and Sarah Reed performed music at the show.  

“When my friend, David Galli, told me what it was all about and asked me to be in it, I was all in since, after all, he and I are both Hispanic,” Oro said. 

Club sponsor and English teacher Nieves Lopez felt connected to the showcase because of her Cuban heritage.

”It helps us to feel pride in our culture,” Ms. Lopez said. “I think it helps us to 

connect with one another. I feel it also shows kids who aren’t necessarily Hispanic who we are and what we’re about.” 

While seeing the painted tapestries and listening to upbeat music, Ms. Lopez felt 

that representation is “totally, completely important.” 

“[The Hispanics] shouldn’t be forgotten,” Oro said. “They should be celebrated.” 

The club also held a potluck on Sept. 25 and a fiesta in the cafeteria on 

Sept. 27. They plan to continue celebrating Hispanic heritage with more events. These include live mariachi performances, which can be performed to students and teachers almost like singing telegrams as a fundraiser on Oct. 29 and 30. 

“My expectations for the coming year will hopefully put Latin Hispanic Heritage Club as a landmark club, make it more prominent on campus, and have people be able to celebrate their own culture,” Guerrero said.