SENIORS’ STORIES TOLD THROUGH SONG

Photo by Sydney Walsh
Vocal senior Dylan Melville made the crowd emotional, dedicating the performance to his 5-year-old cousin who recently passed away. “It’s a song I always hoped to sing to him, and I know he was here watching over me,” Melville said. His cover of the song, “Light in the Hallway” by Audra May, drew a heartfelt reaction from the audience.

Harmonies rang through the Brandt Black Box Theater as the senior chorus members reached the pinnacle of their Dreyfoos music careers. The vocal department held its first ever Senior Chorus Showcase on Feb. 15.

“This senior showcase is something I’ve looked forward to for a while,” vocal dean and choral director Kent Taylor said. “It’s whole idea was to allow the senior class to show off their talents in [the] variety of ways they can.”

Preceding the concert, seniors auditioned for the opportunity to take part in the show. Though auditions were held in late January and early February, the concert had only one dress rehearsal before students performed. Being one of the last chorus concerts for seniors, the students put a personal spin onto every piece. The performance strayed from the normal concert’s guidelines, giving performers the freedom to be more casual.

“It’s an opportunity to share your talent with your peers in a performance setting versus another day in class,” vocal senior Alexandra Slusarenko said. “It’s way different than a 15-second solo in a chorus piece. Everyone has a chance to do their own thing.”

Featuring a variety of genres, ranging from classical, to rhythm and blues, to storytelling musical theatre, the showcase was a chance for students to illustrate their individual senses of creativity.

“I think that the pieces were set perfectly together because Mr. Taylor made sure that everyone was able to express themselves accurately through the different genres, as long as it was from the heart,” vocal senior Samuel Point du Jour said.

Selections performed included the piece “Lullaby” from “The Consul” by Giancarlo Menotti, pop songs such as “Jealous” by Labrinth, and even a rendition of a childhood throwback: “Ripped my Pants” by Spongebob Squarepants. The culmination of the students’ work incorporated 14 numbers, and each singer was accompanied by pianists, percussionists, or violinists.

“It is something relieving and rewarding to close everything for the show and see it come to an end,” vocal senior Bijou Aliza said. “We all realized that it’s one of our last chances to make music together, and I’m glad it turned out well.”

As a part of the first Senior Chorus Showcase, the vocal majors in the Class of 2018 joined their efforts to represent the department in one of their final performances. Reflecting upon their precious moments, the seniors rejoiced in the learning experiences and changes they experienced.

“Of course the classes have allowed me to grow as a musician, but the people in the department have shaped my character,” Slusarenko said. “Dreyfoos has taught and reminded me to always be supportive of my peers which has helped me become a better singer and person.”

HEARING FROM THE SENIORS

Among the most memorable moments of their four years at Dreyfoos, various seniors shared their favorite experiences in the vocal department.

“Probably my favorite experience from being a vocal major at Dreyfoos is being able to perform with Eric Whitacre last year at [the University of North Florida]. It was a great experience, which opened my eyes to the world of chorus,” – James Ulaszek

“I think we’ve all grown up together as if we are brothers and sisters, and that’s something we can’t take for granted,” – Bijou Aliza

“I enjoyed our fall concert when we were performing ‘O’magnum Mysterium,’ and it actually brought our choral director Mr. Taylor to tears as we all sang together. We all really felt that moment,” – Christopher Young

“ My best experience was Prism, [as the audience] really saw all of our work come into fruition,” – Kristophe Smith-Walker

“My junior year Valentine’s Day concert was the place where I performed my first solo, and that is a very memorable experience to me,” – Alexa Burnston

“I loved being with my best friends every day, and knowing that I go to class to be with them and learn,” – Alexandria Peacock