Healing Hearts with Art

Photo courtesy of Alexis Effenberg
Hugs and Kisses bracelets (pictured) are available in a variety of colors and styles, and at least one button on each includes the name of the organization.

For digital media sophomore Alexis Effenberger and visual sophomore Amanda Cohen, creativity and kindness go together like hugs and kisses.

This year, Effenberger and Cohen decided to start a club that partners with a non-profit charity called Hugs and Kisses. The primary focus of the Palm Beach County-based organization is providing financial support for local families affected by cancer.

“Both of us have had family and friends impacted by cancer, and we know how expensive treatment can get, “ Cohen said. “It can be a huge issue, so we decided to find a club that helps raise money for cancer patients.”

Hugs and Kisses’ main method of fundraising is selling their distinctive handmade bracelets, which are made with two simple materials: buttons and leather string. These bracelets are sold at 20 different locations across Palm Beach County, including their flagship store in Royal Palm Beach.

Photo courtesy of Alexis Effenberg

“The leather crosses through the button in an ‘x’ shape, which represents the kiss, and the button represents the ‘o,’” Effenberger said. “[The design exhibits] the significance behind the name Hugs and Kisses.”

Students who joined the club will have the opportunity to make the bracelets during meetings at lunch. For some, creating art that will eventually be offered for sale may seem like a daunting task, but Effenberger and Cohen are confident that Dreyfoos students are ready for the challenge.

“The students at Dreyfoos are very creative, and we’re going to use our art skills to make bracelets that are going to be sold in the future,” Cohen said. “Hopefully, when they’re made using our creative talents, more and more people will buy them, and it will raise extra money.”

While Effenberger and Cohen have already promoted Hugs and Kisses to new members at their Club Rush table, they believe that the most valuable form of advertisement is the promise of hands-on visual media practice through the creation of bracelets. In addition, they believe that the abundance of community service opportunities will draw students in.

“It’s important to have this club, specifically at Dreyfoos, because it will let us use our skills that we practice everyday to make bracelets that help those in need,” Cohen said. “It really just combines both of those things.”

Bracelet-making isn’t the only fundraising technique utilized by Hugs and Kisses. In the past, they’ve organized a multitude of different events to give Palm Beach County residents the opportunity to help out, including fashion shows and charity races.

Photo courtesy of Alexis Effenberg

“A great idea [for the Hugs and Kisses Club] would be to hold a button drive at school. People can bring in buttons that they have laying around, since it’s a key component to the bracelets,”  Effenberger said. “And if we get the chance to participate in the 5k Hero Run, we will definitely organize a team through our club.”

Ultimately, Effenberger and Cohen hope that Hugs and Kisses will be an opportunity for students to connect in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The first meeting will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 4 during lunch in Building 9, Room 9-210.

“It brings students together as a community, while also helping cancer patients pay for their treatment. Anybody is welcome to join, and everyone gets hours,” Effenberger said. “They can meet with their friends, have fun, and it’s all for a good cause.”