• April 29Seeds Open Mic Night on May 3 at 4 p.m. in Grandview Public Market
  • April 29AICE English Language Exam on May 3 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Orchestra Concert on May 2 at 6:30 p.m. in Meyer Hall
  • April 29US History EOC on May 2 at the Gym and Media Center at 8 a.m.
  • April 29SGA Officer Elections Online on May 2-3
  • April 29BSU Block Party on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in the cafeteria
  • April 29Spring into College Series on May 1 at 11:19 a.m. in room 1-401
  • April 29Aice English General Paper Exam on May 1 at 8 a.m.
  • April 29Decisions and Donuts on May 1 at 7:45 a.m. in the Cafeteria
  • April 29Slam Poetry EOY Banquet on April 30 at 4 p.m. at City Pizza

Valentines Day Choral Concert

Photo by Alexa Pope
Vocal juniors Hannah Glas and Judianna Meyers-Sinett perform an soprano duet. Vocal junior Sophia Oaks plays the piano.

The vocal department put on their annual Valentine’s Day and Heritage Concert on Feb. 9. The concert consisted of only love songs, and there were performances from both chorus and solo performers. The choruses sang classical songs while the solo performances consisted of more popular songs that were more known to the audience.

“The Valentine [and] Heritage concert started in the Black Box Theatre,” vocal dean Arlene Sparks said. “The concert was moved to Meyer Hall after it started get more and more popular year after year.”

When selecting songs to be performed at the concert, Ms. Sparks sticks to the Valentine’s Day theme and songs that go in correlation with Black History Month, and folk songs.

“I think the concert this year is really unique,” vocal sophomore Sarah Haughn said. “We perform a song, that is originally meant to be solo, as a chorus which is really different. The concert should really get people hyped for Valentine’s Day.”

The concert had various performances, and some of the performances were created and practiced by students outside of school. The performers who chose to work on something outside of school auditioned with their pieces to see if they qualified to perform in the show.

“I let vocal freshman sit through the concert,” Ms. Sparks said. “They can really get a visual as to what the concert is all about. Over time as they watch what’s happening, it starts to plant seeds.Students always fill up the signup sheet year to year.”