A students boards a Dreyfoos school bus in the afternoon, while peers await their buses beneath a walkway cover. Like many other Dreyfoos students, Communications senior Kristina Robinette completely depends on school transportation. “If something happens, where [the bus is] totally late, there's nothing I personally can do to make a difference for my life. There are so many times I've had to text my [boss] and say, ‘Hey, I don't know if I'm going to make it on time.’ I have a corporate job. It's not a family business, [so] I could get fired because of the bus system.” (Sophia Roberts)
A students boards a Dreyfoos school bus in the afternoon, while peers await their buses beneath a walkway cover. Like many other Dreyfoos students, Communications senior Kristina Robinette completely depends on school transportation. “If something happens, where [the bus is] totally late, there's nothing I personally can do to make a difference for my life. There are so many times I've had to text my [boss] and say, ‘Hey, I don't know if I'm going to make it on time.’ I have a corporate job. It's not a family business, [so] I could get fired because of the bus system.”

Sophia Roberts

BURDENED BUSES

Every morning, communications senior Kristina Robinette wakes up at 5:45 to catch her bus—only to be dropped off at school nearly an hour before the first bell. 

On many afternoons, she waits for the C109 overflow bus to arrive to school long after her friends have driven off. Her dependence on the bus fills everyday travels with perpetual uncertainty. 

“I completely depend on bus transportation to get here. If something happens, where it’s totally late, there’s nothing I personally can do to make a difference for my life,” Robinette said. “There are so many times I’ve had to text my [boss] and say, ‘Hey, I don’t know if I’m going to make it on time.’ I have a corporate job. It’s not a family business, [so] I could get fired because of the bus system.”

None of the issues Robinette faces are new. While The School District of Palm Beach County has taken actions to address them through both policy and budgeting, many of these problems—from the district’s difficulty with recruiting and retaining bus drivers to the lack of functioning A/C units on buses—are tied to a common thread: lack of funding allocated toward the district’s buses.

About the Writers
Photo of George Wu
George Wu, Cover Editor

Communications junior George Wu is a second-year cover editor on The Muse and the book production editor on Seeds. He loves to crush his friends at table...

Photo of Asher Moss
Asher Moss, Cover Editor

Communications junior Asher Moss is a cover editor on The Muse. His main interests are debate, advocacy, journalism, and politics. In his free time he...