Belting out the lyrics to Adele’s “Skyfall”, theatre senior Sarah Joseph (L-R) and vocal senior Makayla Forgione represented their class in the karaoke competition at today’s pep rally. The seniors won first place in karaoke.
Photo by Julia Bonavita

Students Showcase Spirit at Pep Rally

Dreyfoos students arrived at school on Jan. 27 sporting the class colors of blue, green, red, and black and gold, ready for the climax of Spirit Week: Pep Rally. The competition between classes heated up as students poured into the gym and showcased their skills and talents in a variety of events, culminating in the announcement of the winning class. The senior class unsurprisingly came out victorious once again, clenching the spirit stick for 2017.

“We came into [the pep rally] with the mindset we were going to win, so initially I really thought we were,” theatre senior Jay Jennings said. “It wasn’t until the end I started to get worried.”

Photo by Julia Bonavita
Dance freshman Ryan Jaffe performed with his classmates in the freshman dance, featuring their theme “Straight Outta Middle School.” The freshmen received fourth place in the Pep Rally dance competition.

The junior class won a number of events during the Pep Rally, including musical chairs, basketball free throw, and hungry hippos. Many students believed the juniors had a chance of pulling ahead of the seniors and winning the whole thing, including one of the junior class co-presidents, digital media junior Ethan Blanc.

“We placed high in every event and were unified and strong all week long,” Blanc said. “We tried to make everyone a part of everything by allowing people to [participate] in as much as possible. I really thought we had a chance.”

Though the juniors won the most events during the pep rally, the seniors placed higher throughout the week more often and won the karaoke contest and teacher dress up. The sophomores pulled out a victory in the pep rally dance battle, while the seniors only came in third place.

“I was angry at the fact we got third,” said Jennings. “I didn’t think we deserved first, but I don’t think we deserved third. But it was kind of like karma coming back around for us since we beat the seniors in [the pep rally dance] our sophomore year.”

Even with a weak showing during the Pep Rally, Jennings was satisfied with how things ended up.

“I’m very happy, but I feel we should have put more effort into the dance because it didn’t look like they were giving it their all,” Jennings said. “But other than that, I think we did really well.”

Pep Rally Event Scores:

Musical Chairs

1st: Juniors

2nd: Sophomores

3rd: Seniors

4th: Freshmen

Free Throw Basketball

1st: Juniors

2nd: Sophomores

3rd: Seniors

4th: Freshmen

Hungry Hippos

1st: Juniors

2nd: Seniors

3rd: Sophomores

4th: Freshmen

Teacher Dress Up

1st: Seniors

2nd: Juniors

3rd: Sophomores

4th: Freshmen

Karaoke

1st: Seniors

2nd: Freshmen

3rd: Juniors

4th: Sophomores

Pep Rally Dance

1st: Sophomores

2nd: Juniors

3rd: Seniors

4th: Freshmen

Final Score

1st: Seniors (58 points)

2nd: Juniors (55 points)

3rd: Sophomores (44 points)

4th: Freshmen (29 points)