Nov. 21, visual junior Georges Lexima was transported from the Palms West hospital to the Miami Children’s hospital via trauma hawk.
“I started to get a little nervous when I got in the helicopter,” Lexima said. “It was really relieving to land and have all my family with me.”
Due to Leximas major injury, he will not be able to participate in the boys Dreyfoos basketball team for the rest of the season.
Nov. 21, visual junior Georges Lexima was transported from the Palms West hospital to the Miami Children’s hospital via trauma hawk. “I started to get a little nervous when I got in the helicopter,” Lexima said. “It was really relieving to land and have all my family with me.” Due to Lexima’s major injury, he will not be able to participate in the boys Dreyfoos basketball team for the rest of the season.
Photo provided by George Lexima

Major Injury Keeps Basketball Player Off the Court

On Nov. 20, the Dreyfoos boys basketball team went up against Community Christian in their second home game of the season. For visual junior and starting small forward Georges Lexima, this would be the last game he would be able to play for the reminder of the season.

“I just remember after the game, having this terrible headache,” Lexima said. “The pain was so bad I was actually vomiting, and I really didn’t know what was happening.”
After trying to sleep through the pain, the following morning Lexima woke up and immediately was taken to the Palms West hospital.

“The doctors told me that since I was little I’ve had a vein in my head that shouldn’t be there,” Lexima said. “I ended up rupturing that vein due to an AVM (arteriovenous malformation), and it caused my brain to bleed.”

Lexima was taken by helicopter to the Miami children’s hospital to undergo a consultation with a neurosurgeon. The diagnosis was that he would need surgery in February or March, and he would be unable to participate in any serious physical activity until after he has recovered.

Lexima was forced to stay in the hospital over Thanksgiving break, and he missed the first week back after break due to being on bed rest.

“The whole team feels bad for Lexima, and we are all looking forward to seeing him come back healthy and strong next year,” social studies teacher and basketball coach Jeffery Stohr said.

Lexima is now in the stage of recovery and is prepping for his upcoming surgery. He was able to return to school on Dec. 8, and will be back until the date of his surgery.
“Honestly it was great coming back and being able to see all of my friends,” Lexima said. “Everyone was asking how I was doing, if I was ok, and it really made me feel grateful.”

After surgery, Lexima will be on bed rest again for a few weeks. He will not be able to participate in any sports or serious physical activity for a few months. Recovery will be difficult, and will force Lexima to change his everyday routines and cause him to create new habits to live by.
“I’m hoping I will be able to return to the basketball team for my senior season,” Lexima said. “It will be a challenge to regain my fundamental [skills], but I’m looking forward to trying to come back and play.”