As issues such as ISIS, North Korea, and the election of the next president arise in 2016, students respond to their thoughts on these challenges.
Photo by Celine Castronuovo

The Challenges of 2016

Students express what they think the biggest challenges of 2016 will be. The following is a mix of commentary writing and reporting.

As 2016 begins, the global community is entering a new threshold of existence. Never has there been a more connected world with the development of fast-paced communication through social media platforms, but , never has the world been more divided. Issues such as the threat of ISIS, the immigration crisis, and possibilities of nuclear warfare are apparent to people of all ages and backgrounds. As young adults, the challenges of 2016 loom on our future more heavily than any past problems ever have.

Despite the differences in grade levels, these issues are noticed by many different students at Dreyfoos. With the wide variety of responses from each grade, it is evident that the trials we face globally are not just black and white. The responses to these problems will, therefore, require an even greater degree of complexity.

“I believe the greatest challenge of 2016 will be how we handle the impending threat of terrorism,” theatre junior Logan Russell said.

After the terrorist attacks in Paris on Nov. 13, 2015, ISIS became a global epidemic. It has been able to displace refugees and horrify the globe. A valid concern of 2016, ISIS’ growing presence continues to shake the world with every strike it makes.

“These terrorists are able to get a lot of supporters using social media,” digital media freshman Natalie Rodriguez said. “This is one of the hardest things to prevent because media is a huge thing and will continue to be in 2016.”

In an attempt to appear desirable to a select few, ISIS has succeeded in gaining support through social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. While the global community has responded to threats through military force before, no such event has prepared international leaders to face the weapon of social media. This is one of the many ongoing issues 2016 has to face.

Within the isolated country of North Korea, 24.7 million people live in poverty and their human rights record has been continuously condemned, according to the New York Post. However, after claims of a hydrogen bomb test on Jan. 6, other global leaders are hard-pressed to find the least harmful way to deal with this humanitarian crisis.

“I don’t think there is an instant way of solving the issue,” vocal senior Charlie Algera said. “I believe that if we decide to stop it, we will have to make gradual steps to do so. Anything else could yield disastrous results.”

However before dealing with these issues overseas, we must deal with our issues at home. To do this, America will soon turn to the ballots and cast their vote for the new president. Views on how to handle these pending issues differ greatly from candidate to candidate.

“With candidates like Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and Bernie Sanders, I can’t help but feel scared for the future of our country,” communications sophomore Reilly Sams said. “In my own personal opinion, I like no candidate and frankly, I’m scared of the outcome to see who will become the president.”

No matter the issue, solutions are needed. Taking care of the country and the world is not an act of government, but an act of all human beings. The challenges that the world faces in 2016 will test the strength and endurance of the human spirit. As students ready to embark on the “real” world, these issues have become our issues – and it is time for us to solve them.