Playlist: “Getting into the Christmas Spirit”

Everyone has their favorite part of of the holiday season, and something that always gets one in the spirit is the music — it’s heard in the mall, on the radio, and even in the grocery store. Once Thanksgiving is over, the decorations go up, and the music starts playing. Many artists revamp classics and even come out with their own Christmas music albums.These songs are catchy and memorable, coming along with memories from past Christmases. For me, “Jingle Bell Rock” reminds me of Christmas dances I’ve done over the years for both middle and high school performance groups.

There are some Christmas songs that nobody can get sick of: the classics. “The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)” was written by Bob Wells and Mel Torme in 1945, and was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1974. “White Christmas” is a 1942 Irving Berlin song, the song itself describing an old-fashioned Christmas feel. The version sung by Bing Crosby is the best selling single of all time according to the Guinness World Records, selling over 100 million copies worldwide. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” was written in 1944 by Frank Loesser. This song has been covered by many celebrities such as Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé in 2014. These timeless songs will never leave our hearts, unfailingly bringing joy to the holiday season.  

Current pop artists are also making their own Christmas singles and albums. Mariah Carey, Justin Bieber, and Ariana Grande all have created Christmas music in their own style. Columbia Records released Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas is You” in 1994; an all time favorite for many girls, who are able to sing along as soon as they hear the first note. According to Billboard, this album sold over 15 million copies worldwide, making it the best selling Christmas album of all time. Island Records released Justin Bieber’s “Under the Mistletoe” in 2011. “Under the Mistletoe” is a platinum selling album, and was the first Christmas album to debut at number one by a male artist. Ariana Grande has released two Christmas albums in her career, “Christmas Kisses” released December of 2013 in the U.S and “Christmas and Chill” released in December of 2015, both produced by Republic Records. Personally, “Christmas and Chill” is my all-time favorite christmas album; the trap beats and lyrics just make you want to groove.

Here are two Spotify playlists with both classic and current holiday songs. The classics make me very cheery and and the currents make me feel so chill. They are so relatable to current day Christmases. My favorite song from the current playlist is “Winter Things” by Ariana Grande; She is from Boca Raton, and talks about how even though it “feels like mid-July”, her baby’s in town so she’s gonna do some winter things like ice skating and such. This song has beautiful vocals, especially with headphones and is relatable to anyone in South Florida. If you aren’t in the holiday spirit already, these playlists surely will do it for you. With only a few more days until Christmas, you can listen to these songs on repeat while shopping, making cookies, or driving. Happy Holidays!

Photo of Emily Sweetz
Emily Sweetz, Entertainment Staffer

Dance junior Emily Sweetz is a first-year Entertainment staffer for The Muse. After Sweetz won a writing contest in elementary school, English has been...