The course selection situation

Photo by Alexis Pinchuk, edited by Samantha Rose
Students take their course selection into heavy consideration, trying to strike a balance between taking classes they enjoy and can handle and classes that show colleges a rigorous course load,

AP Physics, AP Calculus, or both? That is the question. Eager freshmen are ready to become sophomores, sophomores can’t wait to leave their underclassmen years behind, and juniors are counting down the days until they rule the school. Before this can be the case, however, schedules for the school year of 2016-2017 must be checked and signed.

No matter the grade, most students have one thing in mind: How many AP classes can I take in a mere 24 hours?

Dreyfoos offers an array of classes for students to stress over. Whether you’re a bookworm or a math and science enthusiast, the extensive list of rigorous academics that the school offers is taken to the fullest advantage.

For freshmen, the ability to experience more AP classes, outside of the wondrous world of Human Geography is an exciting motivator. World History, among other classes, is open to sophomores who are ready to dive into the more challenging course load that is not nearly as simple as that of their freshman year.

Sophomores may feel a little more hesitant to cross the divide from underclassmen to upperclassmen as the looming threat of junior year, arguably the most challenging year of high school, breathes down their necks. AP classes are less intimidating to sophomores, who by now, know the lack of sleep and load of homework that comes with these impressive courses. However, rather they choose AP Chemistry or opt for AP Biology as their choice of poison comes with a price. This year is a whole new beast. The SAT and ACT lurk around the corner and the decision of which class to take for the most competitive edge is a never-ending battle when creating the perfectly painful schedule.

Juniors can rejoice, for the horrors of standardized testing are almost over and the three math courses you “just had to take” for that extra point to increase in your GPA will soon come to a blissful end.

Now for senior year, what will it be? Senior privilege, or seven arts classes? Okay, so maybe this was all a lie. If you are anything like the average Dreyfoos student, senior year may be the final stretch to your high school career, but it is only the beginning of your college adventures. With college closer than ever before, most students will find themselves ignoring the enticing free periods they dreamed they would soon have for an even more relaxing choice: AP Calculus BC, AP Literature, AP Physics 2, the two measly art classes required, and some more riveting class options.

With the schedule abyss that there is to choose from, getting the classes of your dreams, or even better, your top choice college’s dreams, is the main priority. Students: stay strong, shy away from simple schedules, and embrace the restlessness that comes with a true high school experience. You can sleep when you’re dead, or in the dorm of your dreams,The more AP classes the better, dual enrollment is an added bonus, and don’t forget to make room for FLVS Remember, colleges are watching.