• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

How to be single on Valentine’s Day

Photo illustration by Lexi Marcellino

Ah, Valentine’s Day. The birds seem to chirp a more cheerful tune, the sun shines a little brighter, and happy couples anticipate their fancy dinner reservations, while I sit on my couch, eating Cheetos and watching “Law and Order.”

Every year, Valentine’s Day rolls around, and no matter how often I look at my calendar, it always takes me by surprise. One minute, I’m rubbing my eyes to stay awake due to still being on my winter-break sleep schedule, then I open them to find boxes of heart-shaped goodies and pink teddy bears. Usually, people have one of two reactions to this: absolute glee at the thought of spending the holiday with their sweethearts or disgust that forms in the wake of their loneliness. I’ll admit that I used to be a part of the latter, but recently, I have found that there is a power to existential singularity. I have made this guide for those like me, who not only wish to survive Valentine’s Day single, but thrive during it.

Don’t be afraid to splurge

Many believe that the key to getting through Valentine’s Day without a significant other is to ignore everyone else and act as if it is an ordinary day; however, the holiday was created for people to express their love. What better person to share love with than you? In the words of “Parks and Recreation’s” most iconic characters, Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle, “Treat. Yo. Self.” If you want to eat an entire family sized pizza by yourself, go for it. If you want to ignore your homework for one night to marathon “Friends,” don’t hesitate. If you want to do something completely pointless like learn the choreography to the first act of “Hamilton,” do it.

Make a playlist of empowering songs

Fill your music library with songs that make you feel good. Listen to upbeat music, preferably something with a catchy chorus and fast beat. I like to go for hits that wouldn’t be on my everyday playlists. For example, I don’t usually listen to Kelly Clarkson, but you better believe that I will be jamming to “Stronger” on my solitary walk to Panera to buy myself a chocolate croissant. While I’m eating alone at the table, I’ll probably go for something a bit more classic. Broadway showtunes are always a good option, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, so are the Jonas Brothers. This may sound like an odd suggestion, but if you’ve never eaten a delicious pastry to the beat of “Burning Up,” you haven’t lived.

Have a “Pal-entine’s” day picnic with your friends

Being single on Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean that you have to be alone. Get your fellow date-less friends together and have a picnic. For a guaranteed good time, make sure that you have the following items: a speaker, a large blanket, food, board games, and a camera or phone so that you can take photos. Later, you can post the pictures on social media and boast about the fun day with your friends. Many people have coined the term “Single’s Awareness Day,” but this just insinuates that there is something wrong with spending the day with your pals. That’s why this year you can participate in the newly empowering holiday “Palentine’s Day.” No longer do you have to feel shame for spending the traditionally romantic day without a lover; be proud of your clever pun-fueled afternoon.

I hope these tips have been of use to some of you. Remember that being single isn’t a stigma and nobody should define his or her self-worth by what his or her relationship status is on one day out of the year.