• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

A Perfect Attendance Is Sickly Simple

It’s seemingly perfect – waking up to young rays of sun peeking through my blinds and the rustling leaves on the trees – until I notice my nose is congested and my throat is sore. Groaning to get out of bed and dress into comfy sweatpants only makes the nausea worse. After trying to wash the stubborn fatigue from my eyes, I finally realize that I am sick.

Communications junior Alexis Pinchuk takes a mirror selfie on her first day of junior year. Pinchuk has a perfect attendance record since the fifth grade.
Photo by Alexis Pinchuk

Most people would jump back into bed and stay between the warm and comforting sheets all day. I, on the other hand, will annotate two hours of AP lectures and struggle to understand my difficult classes. No matter how red my nose is or how achy my limbs are, I attend school. I have not missed a day of class since fifth grade, and I am determined to keep my attendance impeccable. As much as I would love to enjoy a day to boldly cough and curl into a meek ball of illness, I cannot. Even with my attendance in every class, I am up until 3 a.m. doing my homework and studying for a plethora of tests.

I cannot fathom the game of catch-up students must play when they miss a single day of school. For this reason, I do not stay home at any costs. I will not be found on fieldtrips or home on a school day. I simply cannot afford the cost of missing a school day.

I understand how this might be looked down upon. No one wants to sit next to the girl who is literally green, but I have no choice. Extra time to make up work is usually not allotted to students and tests are rumored to be more difficult if taken on a makeup day. For this reason, I push through the stomach cramps and a tickling throat.

I would love to have a day to myself, a random break from the redundant cycle of tests and homework that consume my days and nights. Sadly, reality leads me down a path that does not allot me this luxury. My dedication to school is strong. I am the girl who sits in the front row of every class, perked up and ready to listen to the lesson of the day. Being sick at school has allowed me to develop a tougher skin. I want to be a surgeon, and I know this profession does not get many sick days either. This is my one motivation when I wake up feeling even more run down than usual. This can be my own kind of training for the future. I have given my entire life to my education and have proven to keep my vows: “In sickness or in health.” You will find me trudging through the halls of Dreyfoos, anxiously waiting for the late night of homework that I already have from second hour. All I can hope is that I will wake up the next day and feel better.

$750
$10000

Alexis Pinchuk
Alexis Pinchuk, Assistant Managing Editor
Communications senior Alexis Pinchuk is a third-year staffer and Assistant Managing Editor, overseeing the Copy, Website, Features, and Op/Ed sections for The Muse. She loves every aspect of the communications field, and dedicates much of her time to The Muse and other courses. Pinchuk has many published pieces and received a Scholastic honorary mention for her poem, “Rabbit Ears.” She hopes to attend a prestigious college where she will continue her studies in journalism. In whatever field she studies, Pinchuk is determined to make a difference. In seventh and eighth grade, Pinchuk founded the successful club, Every Soul Counts. Through this club, she was able to raise thousands of dollars, volunteer at underprivileged elementary schools, and work with passionate individuals to change the lives of soldiers and their families. Over her junior and senior year, Pinchuk founded the Psychology and Philosophy Club as well. Aside from these achievements, Pinchuk became a second degree black belt at the age of eight, is an equestrian, and participated on the Dreyfoos swim team during her sophomore year. Pinchuk dreams of becoming a New York Times Bestseller and Newbery Award Winner, along with other aspirations. She is optimistic and excited for the future, as she plans to continue working extremely hard to achieve her goals.
$750
$10000