Bake Sale for Equality

The Women’s Empowerment Club Bake Sale took place in the bus loop from April 9-11 after school. Students donated baked goods that were sold for $1 for boys and 75 cents for girls. 

“The average woman is paid 77 cents for every dollar a man is paid,” said communications junior and Women’s Empowerment Club officer Erica Maltz.

The purpose of the sale was to raise awareness of the wage gap between men and women in the work force.

“It was supposed to create conversation between people. People are supposed to realize that [men] paying an extra 25 cents is crazy,” Maltz said. “It showed everyone that [the wage gap] is unfair.”

Most of the bake sale’s proceeds will go to benefit the Association of Abused Women and Children.

The bake sale was held to lead up to Susan G. Komen founder Nancy Brinker’s presentation at Dreyfoos that occurred on April 15, which was organized by the Women’s Empowerment Club. Susan G. Komen is an organization that raises awareness and money for breast cancer. Ms. Brinker also served as United States Ambassador to Hungary and as Chief of Protocol in the White House.

$450
$10000

Samantha Rose, Editor-In-Chief
Communications senior Samantha Rose is a third-year staffer and Co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse. She has had a passion for writing since middle school and loves expanding it on The Muse. In addition to journalism, Rose takes a film class and is involved in the Dreyfoos community as co-secretary of National Honor Society, treasurer of Key Club and member of National English Honor Society and Spanish Honor Society. Rose is also a third degree black belt in taekwondo. In addition to helping staffers in The Muse, Rose loves teaching children during the summer at Digi-Camp, where she assists kids with video game programming, video production, photography, and TV production. This summer, Rose gained more journalistic experience at the Asian American Journalists Association’s JCamp at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis. She was one of 42 high school students selected to participate in the program, during which she learned from several prominent journalists while working on her own story. While Rose is keeping her options open, she hopes to pursue a career in communications and continue journalism in college by joining another scholastic publication.
$450
$10000