Senior Dance Concert

• The night ended with a rendition of “Unforgettable Journey” choreographed by dance senior Francesca Horvath. The dancers wore balloons around their wrists, which they released into the air at the end. Overall, the routine signified both the closing of a chapter and the start of a new beginning.

• The “Dream Girls” routine, inspired by the movie “Golden Girls,” was choreographed and performed by dance senior Ashley Simpson. The dance channelled Simpson’s love for classic films. “This was definitely one of the hardest to perform; it took a lot of practice to perfect,” dance senior Jules Mabie said. “It’s really fast-paced and requires a lot of stamina.”

• Dance seniors perform “The Rhythm Section.” Choreographed by senior Kianda Hering, the performance was inspired by Hering’s love for ballroom dancing. Therefore, the routine blended aspects of contemporary and ballroom dance.

• Dance senior Paul Rispoli lifts senior Katia Lago in the air during the opening rendition of “Generation 80s,” causing the audience to erupt in applause. The performance featured classic hits from artists such as David Bowie, Queen, and Olivia Newton-John.

• The performance “Generation 80s” kicked off the annual Senior Showcase, with dancers wearing spandex and neon clothing to commemorate the decade. The routine was choreographed by the entire senior dance class.

As the sound of “Let’s Get Physical” resounds through the theater, dance seniors strut onto the stage in neon leggings, tight bodysuits, and fuzzy legwarmers, their hair tied in half-knots and loose ponytails.

This was just one of the many performances featured in the Senior Dance Concert on May 6 in Meyer Hall. Over the span of two hours, the audience witnessed a wide variety of dances including ballroom, contemporary, ballet, tap, and jazz; however, each dance had one common thread–they were all choreographed and organized by dance students.

“[The Senior Dance Concert] is almost entirely student-run, which is what makes it so unique,” dance senior Alexia Belrose said. “The process of choreographing and organizing the performances was extremely gratifying for me because it’s like a final send-off; it’s a chance to display how much I’ve grown both personally and as an artist.”

Before each routine, a screen descended the stage and the theme of “So You Think You Can Dance” filled the room, as videos displayed the dancers rehearsing their routines. The clips prompted applause and laughter from the audience as they watched the dancers joke around and have fun with one another.

“The clips were a great aspect of the concert, because they made the dancers seem more personable and human,” theatre sophomore Evan Kwon said. “The concert wasn’t just showcasing the [dancers’] talents, it was showcasing the individuals in their entirety.”

Furthermore, dance seniors Savannah Alberty and Francesca Horvath choreographed and performed a routine to “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol. The soft ballad was accompanied by gentle, fluid movements that symbolized Alberty and Horvath’s strong friendship.

“We’ve been best friends since middle school, so it’s been a given to perform together since we came to the senior showcase as freshmen,” Horvath said. “We wanted to choreograph a dance that displayed our friendship and unity because even though we’re going to different schools, I know that we’ll be best friends for years to come.”

In addition, dance senior Gianna Theodore choreographed a routine to “C’est Une Lutte Interne” by Max Richter, a French term that means “ inner struggle.” Theodore felt that it represented her story as an individual and all the troubles she’s endured during her years at Dreyfoos. The dancers wore duct tape around their mouth to represent awareness and constant battle of suffering. The piece was a collaboration with strings senior Kevonna Shuford, who played a solo on the viola as the dancers graced the stage with their dynamic routine.

“Gianna’s piece is different than all the others,” dance senior Jules Mabie said. “There’s minimal music and choreography, so you have to improvise and rely on others around you. But I think that’s exactly what makes it beautiful, because the moves themselves are so potent that they speak for themselves. ”

The night of merriment and nostalgia came to an end with the performance “Unforgettable Journey” by Jonsi. Every dancer walked onto the stage in delicate lace dresses, their skirts flowing gracefully as they twirled around the stage. Furthermore, each dancer had a balloon tied to their wrist, which they released into the air at the end of the performance. Overall, this dance marked the end of a chapter–and yet, more than anything, it welcomed a fresh, new beginning.