The Prom Preparation Problem

Many purchase new makeup to use to achieve their ideal prom look from brands such as Tarte, Urban Decay, and Anastasia.
Girls go out of their to purchase a unique dress. Many go to a variety of stores such as Bloomingdale’s, Dillards, My Crowning Closet, and Macy’s.

The idea that it’s no longer acceptable to just “ask” someone to prom has been added to the expense of the prom preparation ordeal. From purchasing dresses of sequins and sparkles to ordering a corsage of flowers, emotions aren’t the only thing adding up during the weekend of prom as wallets are becoming lighter.

“The price of prom adds up quickly. For me, I began preparing in the beginning of the year by saving money that I would eventually spend on prom on both myself and my date,” vocal junior Dylan Melville said.

The anticipation for girls attending prom begins with searching online for dresses and possible tutorials for hair and makeup ideas.

“I started [preparing] with the dress and then based on the look of my dress, I got the purse, shoes, and then got the components I needed to make a makeup look that matched,” theatre senior Suzanne Litwinka said.

For boys, promposals are the first step to planning the impeccable prom night as the universal questions of who to ask to prom, and how to ask them, are frequently visited.

“[Theatre junior] Riley Russell’s favorite musical is The Phantom of the Opera, so one day after school my friend played a song from the musical in the Black Box while Riley was in there. I then came in with flowers and a poster,” theatre junior Ethan Izenwasser said.

As soon as the provision begins, girls spend hours, days, and sometimes weeks trying to find the ideal dress before they’re able to arrange times for their hair and makeup. Boys on the other hand must acquire a tuxedo and other necessities such as purchasing tickets and corsages.

“I was able to find my dress in one day because I heard about this place called My Crowning Closet. I checked it out and ended up finding a one-of-a-kind dress that was perfect for me,” piano senior Christina Harbaugh said.

On average, high schoolers will spend hundreds of dollars on prom, but items with that money differentiate between genders.

“My dress was about $400 which is a little pricey, but my grandma said I looked like a goddess and wouldn’t settle for anything else,” Harbaugh said. “I’m getting my hair done at my mom’s hair dresser and then my makeup done by my grandma since she’s a professional makeup artist. I also ended up having to buy new shoes, but I was on the lookout for a bargain. In total, I probably spent around $700 for prom.”

Being that boys don’t have the necessity to get dolled-up, they tend to focus on spending of their money on things other than their looks for the night.

“I had bought two tickets on the discount day in Feb. which were each $100 at the time, but then I also ordered a corsage for my date which was $25, renting a tux which was $200, and then I payed a photographer some money,” Izenwasser said. “In addition, I got a little shape up haircut which cost $18, so overall I am probably spending about $335 on prom.”

As the expenses begin to increase, many students are finding ways to save them from spending such massive amounts of money, allowing them to hold onto their bucks.  

“I’m actually a certified Freelance Makeup Artist, so considering that I am picky about my makeup, I’m doing it my on my own. I’m only planning on purchasing some new false lashes which are $23. However, a lot of my clients who went to prom already were saying how they had to spend $100 on new makeup. Plus, some makeup counters like MAC make you buy around $50 worth of products that they use on you during the makeover,” theatre junior Alex Sherman said.

Unlike many other girls, for Sherman, the money spent on her $200 dress, shoes, and hair is being mended through business from her clients.

“I’ve already done 15 people’s faces for prom so far and my process usually begins in March when I start to schedule and prep for clients, which is working on competitive pricing that compares with what most makeup artists are charging this season and restocking my makeup kit,” Sherman said. “My prices for a normal full face [of makeup] without lashes is $40, but with lashes is $50 and individual lashes are $55. I am also certified in airbrush makeup application, so I can charge around $95 for that.

While girls tend to spend more on prom than boys, some students argue the question of which gender puts the most time and effort into preparing for it.

“The majority of girls are focused on how they look for the big night when it comes to dress competitiveness and hairstyles, so many are not aware that the guy’s responsibility is to not only pay for tickets, rent a tux, and buy corsages, but we also have to make sure our date is having the time of her life,” Melville said.