Fantasy Football Fillers Week 5

Photo by Lorenzo Romano

With week five of football in the past, fantasy owners are now getting a feel for how their season will pan out. Multiple sleepers have popped up, such as the Chicago Bears Jordan Howard or the Pittsburgh Steelers Sammie Coates, who have both had a serious impact on owners’ teams. Also, certain draft picks like Denver Broncos running back Cj Anderson have shown signs of greatness, but are reverting back to being busts. Here are this weeks predictions for sleepers and busts.

Sleepers:

Colin Kaepernick

Kaepernick has gotten tons of media attention due to his kneeling at the national anthem. As of Oct. 10, the San Francisco 49ers announced Kaepernick would take over the starting quarterback position once again. Though Kaepernick has yet to play this season, with a look at his past stats, Kaepernick shows incredible potential for success. Pick up Kaepernick if he is available in any league.

Cameron Meredith
With Kevin White placed on IR (Injured reserved), Cameron Meredith was given the chance to shine with the Bears. Meredith caught nine passes for 130 yards and a touchdown, and proved to be Brian Hoyers favorite target. Going forward, as long as Hoyer is in as quarterback, Meredith is a must start and has a very high upside.

Jeremy Kerley
After a breakout performance in week four, Jeremy Kerley followed up with an even better performance in week five, leading the 49ers in targets and yardage for receiver. Kerley is a great pickup if available and can help stimulate a team lacking wide receiver depth.

Busts:

Jameis Winston
After poor performances consistently in the past few weeks, James Winston is now no longer a viable starting option. He looks sluggish on the field and is playing with a hurt backfield and an average receiving core. Be wary of Winston in the coming weeks.

Matt Forte
As the New York Jets began their downward spiral, Matt Forte’s performance as a running back has declined with them. With a quarterback who is throwing multiple interceptions and an offense that is constantly having to play from behind, Forte is having a tough time succeeding in his own position. Keep Forte on your bench until the Jets as a team begin to improve.

Jay Ajayi
Jay Ajayi has scored a touchdown in two straight weeks and has been the primary rusher for the Miami Dolphins. Don’t be deceived by that fact, and acknowledge that Ajayi is averaging an extremely low yardage total in each game played, and the Dolphins use running back by committee. Keep Ajayi on your bench until he proves himself as the main starter.