Fantasy Football Fillers Week 1

Photo by Julia Bonavita

Fantasy football fans rejoice as the first week of the NFL (National Football League) wraps up. At the beginning of the season, fantasy football players conducted their drafts, set their lineups, and prepared for football. Now that the season is finally here, fans can establish the long awaited period of player study and sleeper picks.

In fantasy football, a sleeper is someone who is unknown but has the potential to break out and score tons of points. Following week one performances, sleeper picks that can seriously benefit one’s team should be available in most leagues. Here are some pointers for this upcoming week of fantasy football.

Sleepers:

An example of a good sleeper player this season is Baltimore Ravens’ Breshad Perriman. A 6’3, 200 pound wide receiver who was injured for all of last year, Perriman is now healthy and available in many leagues. This is someone who holds the potential to get major point totals in the future.

Pittsburgh Steelers’ Eli Rodgers is another prime sleeper. Rodgers is also a wide receiver who didn’t play at all last season. However, following an explosive performance in week one and an unhealthy Steeler receiving core, the opportunity for Rodgers to shine has grown, and he should be picked up in all leagues if available.

In addition, Kansas City Cheifs’ Alex Smith has been known in the past as a quarterback who doesn’t throw many touchdowns, but also doesn’t turn the ball over. In week one, Smith blew away expectations, and looked like a quarterback who was ready to throw for over 4000 yards in a season. Be sure to pick up Smith if he is available.

Where there is success, there is also failure, a concept that is all too common in fantasy football. For every sleeper, there is a bust, and below is a list of players fantasy owners should avoid in the upcoming weeks.

Indianapolis Colts’ Ty Hilton currently has a strong finish from last season. Fantasy owners had high hopes for Hilton this year. However, with new additions at both tight end and wide receiver, Hilton is no longer a lone threat, and is forced to share completions with his competition. Stay away from Hilton in the upcoming weeks.

New Orleans Saints’ Colby Fleener, with his change of team to the New Orleans Saints, had many people thinking that quarterback Drew Brees would be able to increase Fleeners touchdown and yardage totals. However, as displayed in week one, Fleener looked sluggish and slow, and was targeted only once by Brees. Be careful of Fleener in the upcoming weeks.

Dallas Cowboys’ Dez Bryant is considered Bryan one of the best wide receivers coming into this season. With the rookie quarterback Dak Prescott at the helm of the offense, it seems as though there is little room for Bryant to succeed. Until Prescott can prove himself, or Tony Romo comes back, beware of Dez Bryant.

Good luck in week two, and don’t forget to take a chance at these sleepers.