Track and Field Districts Update

Photo by Daniel Montoya
Communications junior Makoa Beck sprints to the the finish line in the 100 meter dash event at the district track and field meet held at Suncoast High School.

As the gunshot echoed through the crowd surrounding the track, the 300 meter hurdles were underway. Vocal sophomore Victoria Giol began her route to the finals; but as she approached the second hurdle, she experienced an untimely injury. Despite this, Giol persevered and qualified for the finals.

“[As I went to go over] the second hurdle, I rolled my ankle. I didn’t stop because pain is temporary while glory is forever,” Giol said. “It hurts, but I’ll be okay; I’ll [continue] until the finals.”

Though not many team members were able to make it to the finals, even fewer qualified for regionals. The girls 4×800 meter relay team managed to advance to regionals, as well as the girls 4×100 meter relay team. The 4×800 meter relay team consisted of theatre sophomore Madison Burmeister, strings sophomore Madeleine Bruderer, communications senior Naomi Kelly, and communications freshman Patrichia Linquist. Competing on the girls 4×100 girls was dance junior Alexandria Faife, visual sophomore Amanda Addison, Giol, and Bruderer. In addition to the relay teams, vocal freshman Emese Nemeth advanced to regionals for discus.

“I’m really excited for the 4×800 [at regionals] because it is a lot less pressure running with the people that you like and that you’ve formed a bond with,” Burmeister said. “I think that [advancing to finals] is a great improvement from last year, and [I’m proud of] being in a different district with harder competition. The hard work this season paid off.”

As well as the accomplishments made by qualifiers for finals and regionals, a new school record was made in the discus event. Dance senior Paul Rispioli will receive a banner inside of the gymnasium for his new record of 97 feet.

“It’s what we’ve been shooting for all season so I’m happy and I’m excited my name is going to be on the wall,” Rispioli said. “I’ll be one of those guys that other kids will use for inspiration.”

Dance senior Paul Rispioli winds up for a throw in the discus event. Rispioli broke the record for discus at Dreyfoos with a throw of 97 feet.
Photo by Daniel Montoya
Dance senior Paul Rispioli winds up for a throw in the discus event. Rispioli broke the school record for discus at Dreyfoos with a throw of 97 feet.

Now that districts are over the next chapter begins for the players that are advancing to regionals on April 28. Track and field coach, Social studies teacher, and Athletic director Ross Vening was proud of the team for what they accomplished at districts and throughout the year.

“I think they did awesome between personal records, teams qualifying for regionals, and a new school record,” Mr. Vening said. “There’s a lot of very good athletes here, and I was surprised [by] how many qualified. I’m proud of the team for those who stuck it out the whole year.”