Making a difference through fitness

Photo (left) courtesy of Makoa Beck/ Photo (right) by Oscar Hamilton
(Before) Beck flexes for the camera at his house after a workout in eighth grade. (After) Beck flexes his arms and obliques in Building 3.

For the average person, waking up early is hard enough. Communications junior Makoa Beck has taken fitness to new extremes by waking up at four a.m. nearly every morning to begin gym exercises. When Beck started in eighth grade, his workout consisted of basic exercises such as pull-ups, chin-ups, and push-ups. During his freshman year, Beck transcended his workout routine to a new level that he continues to practice today.

“My dad owns a gym, so that is a big part of what helped motivate me,” Beck said. “Working out has really changed my life and [helped me] get a lot of my thoughts and emotions out. [Since starting,] I have made a lot of progress. I grew in height and gained about 60 or 70 pounds.”

Beck eats a churro at Bush Gardens in 8th grade, before he started his serious training.
Photo courtesy of Makoa Beck
Beck eats a churro at Bush Gardens in eighth grade, before he started his serious training.

With the help of dance senior Paul Rispoli and digital media junior Lorenzo Romano, Beck was able to make fitness into something fun that he could share with his friends. Both Rispoli and Romano have used Beck’s knowledge in health and fitness to their advantage.

“I started working out because I was out of shape and decided to do something about it,” Rispoli said. “It benefits my dancing since I [am] a male dancer who is dependent on strength. I began working out with Makoa in the beginning of my junior year. Not only is he my best friend, but [also] the best personal trainer I will ever have. There is nothing greater than seeing one of your friends find their passion and develop it.”

Beck’s determination to get in shape has helped encourage those around him. He stands as an inspirational friend and trainer to all who have had the opportunity to workout with him.

“I workout with him because he’s my best friend and he knows way more than I do

Beck flexes and shows off the current muscles in his back in Building 3.
Photo by Oscar Hamilton
Beck flexes and shows off the back muscles he’s built after years of persistent training.

about training. It’s fun to have some friendly competition,” Romano said. “He’s been like a trainer to me and he’s taught me a lot of new exercises that I never knew about. I still go to the gym with him when I can and I plan on doing that for as long as possible because it’s better to work with a friend than alone.”

Beck has made working out a lifestyle and urges others who care about health and fitness to stick with it and not give up.

“I would tell anyone who is thinking of working out that there are definitely going to be a lot of times when you will struggle and get mad at yourself because you aren’t where you want to be yet,” Beck said. “It takes a lot of time to work your way up to where your goals are. The Great Wall of China wasn’t built in a day, [and] neither was the Roman Colosseum. If you work hard and are patient you will be able to get there one day. As long as you see it as a possibility and believe in yourself 100 percent.”