• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

Rehabilitating back into the rink

On Feb. 2, digital media junior Lindsey Trinchet was taking her normal route home when suddenly she felt an immense impact on her car, causing it to spin out in the middle of the street. Her head slammed against the window and glass shattered around the street. Trinchet had been t-boned by a pickup truck that failed to yield on a green, left-hand turn. Trinchet’s car was completely totaled leaving her with an overwhelming amount of injuries.

At the age of 5, Trinchet began figure skating. For years, she has continued to practice and hone techniques and fundamentals needed for skating. Trinchet has become a decorated skater, winning multiple awards in various competitions.

“I’m really lucky to be alive,” Trinchet said. “When I went to the doctor, I found out I had completely lost hearing in my left hear, damaged by neck, spine, and wrist, and learned I would need to go to rehab if I wanted to regain enough balance to skate again.”

Trinchet is now in the process of getting back on the ice. Due to the concussion suffered in her left ear, her sense of balance is skewed. She goes to rehab three times a week in hopes to gain strength in her body as well as improve her coordination. Trinchet anticipates another three to four months of rehabilitation before she is able to skate again.

“It’s frustrating not being able to skate, especially because I had no control over this incident,” Trinchet said. “It makes me anxious not knowing how I will perform when I get back.”

Trinchet has been working to put the accident and injuries behind her. She hopes to regain the strength to continue skating in the future.

“Honestly, if I am able to put the nerves behind me and just get on the ice, I know I will feel relieved and ready to go,” Trinchet said. “I’m ready to go back to normal and do what I love.”