The Waiting Game

Graphic by Lexi Marcellino

We spend time and money preparing for standardized tests, gathering letters of recommendation, writing the perfect college admission essays, maintaining an average GPA, finalizing college applications while shedding blood, sweat, and tears for college. Whether seniors have a passion to attend a community college, an Ivy League university or a D1 sports school, there is an equal feeling of anxiety while waiting for an acceptance after four years of hard work.

“Even though we may meet requirements for the schools we apply for, we may or may not be accepted into the schools that we’re hoping to be accepted [into],” vocal senior Sidney Kelly said. “We tend to heavily doubt ourselves because we often compare our GPAs, SAT scores, ACT scores, and difficulty of classes to that of many outstanding students, and that makes us fearful of our chances to get accepted.”

Most seniors have come to the point of constant procrastination and doubt where managing extracurricular activities and academics might seem impossible, but what should be taken in mind is that there are many high school students across the country who are not as unique as Dreyfoos students. The person one may sit next to every day may have a 4.0 GPA or a 2300 SAT score, but that does not deter from one’s acceptance into a university. According to FastWeb, a college guidance site, more than 72 percent of college admissions officers in 2015 claimed that they worked more than five hours after the admissions office closes to carefully study students who do not shine at first glance.

“I enjoy seeing amazing scores, but in your essay, tell me something I can’t find elsewhere in other applications. Working past closing hours and re-reading the same essay idea is quite tiring. Be authentic and try your best,” Dr. Zina Evans, Vice President for Enrollment Management at the University of Florida, said.

With college applications already sent, we seniors should take into account that we have done the best that we can possible do over the past three years.

“Everything you do is being recorded and it will catch up to you no matter [what]. So to freshmen, sophomores, and especially juniors, make sure you make the right choices,” visual senior Madison Daorerk said. “It’s okay to start studying for tests and begin your resume [early] so you [can] continuously add on to it. Keep in mind that progress is important.”

So to every senior, do not let the waiting game dominate your senior year. Look forward to the one moment where your life will be changed forever.