Workout of the Week: Single Leg Dead-lifts

Photos by Rowan Bennetti

To fully appreciate the beauty of learning how to stabilize on one leg, the single leg dead-lift is something to experience. Although it appears like the stance of a Nike mannequin found in a sports store, according to Girls Gone Strong, it is helpful towards practicing an array of skills. By continuously practicing dead-lifts, the likelihood of falling over is nonexistent. This exercise stimulates the release of growth hormones, which are involved in building muscle size, and even prevents back pain.

1. With feet together in a standing position, start off by lifting the left leg slightly and lowering the arms and torso behind the body while left leg is raised.
  2. Slowly hinge the hips back while also hinging the knee to have a very flat back.
  3. (Optional) Slowly grip the handle of a kettlebell, making sure the shoulder is pulled back during the entire movement, and lift it up and down.
  4. Keep the right knee slightly bent and reach arms as close to floor as possible.
  5. After holding the position for about 20 seconds, raise the torso while lowering the left leg.
  6. Finally lift the other leg and continue alternately.

$450
$10000

Gernise Gregoire, Lifestyle Editor
Gernise Gregoire is a communications senior and Lifestyle Editor on The Muse. She strives to make The Muse even more interesting for her peers. Her hobbies include playing piano, creating major events for her club UNICEF, and giving back to the community every chance she gets. Not only is she President of her UNICEF club, but a Historian in ARTS club, a member of the National Communication Honors Society, National Academics Society and National English Honors Society. Gregoire plans to attend Columbia University or the University of Florida to pursue her medical journalism dreams.
$450
$10000