11 seconds ago

Testing During Tee Time

Graphic by Lexi Marcellino
This golf season, coach Sara Stout has been giving quizzes on the rules and regulations of golf to improve her players knowledge of the sport.

Boys golf coach and social studies teacher Sara Stout has brought a unique coaching technique to Dreyfoos sports. Instead of the mundane practice at the range, Ms. Stout has been assigning quizzes to the members of her boys golf team to test their knowledge of the game and give them a better understanding of the sport.

“If [a player doesn’t] know the rules, [they] can’t be entirely successful,” Ms. Stout said. “[Knowing the rules] gives [them] sense of awareness.”

The quizzes are made to help the team by generating a better understanding to the game and other basic components of the sport. These quizzes benefit players by aiding them with a better comprehension of aspects of the game such as the layout of the course. They consist of 10 questions dealing with the basics and expectations on the coarse. The quizzes also include United States Golf Association (USGA) rules and regulations.

“They were helpful because it gave an overview of the game and how to play, act, and what to expect on the course,” communications sophomore  Zachary Stoloff said. “I really understand the game much better.”

Though she has only given two quizzes so far, there are more to come in the future. Ms. Stout has found that the quizzes have helped new players adjust to the sport. These quizzes benefit new team members because they bring a greater awareness different from that of older teammates who have been on the team longer. The expectations are growing due to the preparation that has been put into place.

“We have a great group of people playing,” Ms. Stout said. “I am very excited for this season.”

$750
$10000

Shane McVan
Shane McVan, Sports Editor
Communications senior Shane McVan is the current sports edior and it is his third year on The Muse. He is also the business editor of Seeds Literary Arts Magazine. In his free time, He trains mixed martial arts and loves football. McVan in the future plans on receiving a job in the communication arts department as a sports broadcaster and journalist.
$750
$10000