• April 15Incent to Run Info Meeting on April 18th at 11:19 a.m. in Meyer Hall

In Defense of “Playing Like A Girl”​

Lexi Marcelino

The most dreaded words to a majority of young male athletes are “you play like a girl”. For some reason, having any aspect of a male’s athletic ability compared to the opposite gender has become a pejorative in the sports world.

“I think over the years women have gained a lot of respect,” communications junior Mandy Goodman said. “However, the amount of times I’ve heard [the term] ‘girl’ being used as an insult implying weakness, or heard a male gym teacher or coach making fun of a girl for being ‘whiny’ or not as strong makes me lose my faith.”

Why is it that women are used to imply weakness? Tennis stars and sisters Serena and Venus Williams are not weak. NASCAR driver Danica Patrick is not weak. Olympic gold medalist Missy Franklin is not weak. In all sports categories, female athletes have been contributing and excelling in sports even before they were legally allowed. According to the American Association of University Woman, during the first Olympic Games in ancient Greece, women were barred from entry. However, instead of accepting these misogynistic rules, they created their own Games of Hera. Like the Olympics, these were held every four years and honored the Greek goddess Hera, who ruled over women and the earth. How’s that for a mascot?

I’ve even seen this phenomenon in my physical education classes. Female students were more likely to be picked last, and hardly ever chosen as team captains by the teacher, including myself. Belittling female students means ignoring the fact that participating in sports is empowering for women and should in fact be encouraged. It teaches young girls that their bodies and minds are strong, and allows them to work with one another. Women who break the “glass ceiling” of the sports world pave the path for aspiring girls to prove themselves in a male dominated field.

This is why women were willing to break the law to participate in competitive athletics. This is why women will keep playing tennis, NASCAR racing and winning Olympic medals, even in the face of sexism. This is why women have excelled in sports and will continue to do so. So the next time you hear someone say “​play​ like a girl”, remember that hitting like a girl is the most powerful thing someone can do.

$750
$10000

Mary Rasura, Features Editor
Communications junior Mary Rasura has had a love of journalism ever since her parents made it a point to watch the 5 PM. news. She is the Features Editor and feels the section will be a great fit for her. She believes Dreyfoos wouldn't be what it was without the arts, and is excited to report on this vital part of the school’s ecology. Rasura enjoys creative writing as well, and finds truth and fiction to be equally compelling narratives. In her free time, she loves political satire and likes to watch the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. She loves having flowers in her room and believes they brighten up any work space. She is an active member of the Women’s Empowerment Club and plans on joining the Speech and Debate team, as she has discovered a love of speech in the past year and wishes to improve her rhetoric. In the future, Mary wishes to work at a news magazine and would love to review theater shows.
$750
$10000